Oil Cooler Flow Direction

All Models and Years
WinginEngineer

Oil Cooler Flow Direction

Post by WinginEngineer »

So i have searched the forum extensively and trolled the internet to my wit's end.

I'm putting in a remote oil cooler with a branch manifold for my mechanical gauges and I need to know which port of the oil cooler adapter is in and which is out. I basically need flow direction.

I found one picture on a fly-vair blog, but it's not clear to me whether his labels are "inlet" and "outlet" with relation to the block or to the oil cooler.

Any help is greatly appreciated as i want to make sure my gauges read on the leading edge of flow rather than after the cooler.
Screenshot_20170706-195922.jpg
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Oil Cooler Flow Direction

Post by bbodie52 »

:google: :search: I think the information below will provide you with the answers you are looking for. I did a Google search for "corvair engine oil flow" and discovered the information below. Click on the link following the quote to see more pictures and to read more information.

Sometimes the best information comes from an unexpected source — in this case the Corvair-powered flying crowd! But I'm sure they won't mind if you use some of their R&D to support your ground-based Corvair.

Mark Jones wrote:Image

In this photo you can see I have mounted the oil cooler and oil filter to the firewall. The oil cooler is the stock Corvair cooler with tube fittings welded in place by William Wynne. The oil filter is on a remote mount purchased from Great Plains Aircraft Supply. The hose is Aeroquip 303-6H and the hose fittings are Aeroquip 491-6 from Wicks Aircraft Supply.

The oil hoses as they attach to the oil line adapter. The flow of oil exits the case from the lower port, flows directly to the oil filter, then through the oil cooler and returns to the engine in the upper port.
Mark Jones' KR-2S Oil Cooler & Filter
:link: http://www.flykr2s.com/oil.html
Image1.jpg
Image2.jpg
Image3.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tech Files: Corvair Engine Primer

:link: http://phscollectorcarworld.blogspot.co ... rimer.html

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
WinginEngineer

Re: Oil Cooler Flow Direction

Post by WinginEngineer »

Perfect! Thank you again Brad!
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”