Spare in the trunk ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Spare in the trunk ?

Post by acarlson »

I seem to recall that there was an option to have your spare tire mounted in the trunk rather then the engine compartment.

Is there an NOS kit or aftermarket kit available for an LM Vair ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Re: Spare in the trunk ?

Post by terribleted »

I have never seen a kit listed. Some A/C cars had factory trunk spare mounting. One way would be to locate factory parts and weld in the spare mount bracket like the factory did. I have fabricated welded in spare brackets on a number of cars. Pretty much you need only a solid bracket welded into the rear vertical wall of the lower trunk area that you can hook a large J bolt into or bolt into. I always use a J-bolt hooked to the bracket and washer and wingnut through the wheel to hold the spare in place. If you notice the front trunk floor is shaped to accept the forward (bottom) of the spare when it leaned into place in the trunk.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
notched

Post by notched »

The only late model Corvairs to have a trunk mounted spare are a/c equipped 65-67 models AND 69 convertibles with the 140 engine.
There as no option from the factory or dealer to relocate it. This is a picture of my original 69 convertible. There are 2 brackets welded to the trunk floor.
Attachments
69trunkfloor.JPG
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
dave t

Post by dave t »

I have seen guys use a bracket from another car such as a chevelle. It may be easier to find. It is just a loop which looks like an omega sign. Weld or bolt in place and use a long j-bolt, large washer & large wing nut. If you bolt in place, you most likely will need to pull the gas tank for access. Not sure, I'd have to look. Anyway, measure how long the j-bolt would need to be. Just my 2 cents worth.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

My '62 factory air 4 door is missing any kind of spare tire mounting in the trunk. The other non-ac car i'm keeping obviously doesn't have anything either.

My plan was to go to a junk yard and look through suburbans and vans until i find something adaptable and drop that in. May be your best bet by tge time you mess around with a factory unit or rigging up some bolt contraption.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
azdave
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Post by azdave »

Lot's of LM folks make their own as shown. Keep in mind the fuel tank is right behind that location so don't drill through and hit the tank!
Attachments
Photobucket - Google Chrome 7312017 105853 AM.jpg
Photobucket - Google Chrome 7312017 105853 AM.jpg (36.95 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
Dave W. from Gilbert, AZ

66 Corsa 140/4 Yenko Stinger Tribute
66 Corsa 140 Coupe w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR 140/PG w/factory A/C
65 Monza 4DR EJ20T/5
64 Greenbrier 110/PG, Standard 6-Door
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

May not be what you're looking for but you don't necessarily need a mount up front. I just put the spare in the trunk laying flat over the top of the jack in the bottom of the trunk instead of having the tire mounted to the shelf. Tire fits snug in that area, keeps the jack from moving around, and neither has ever moved out of place with even the most spirited driving.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

azdave wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:01 am Lot's of LM folks make their own as shown. Keep in mind the fuel tank is right behind that location so don't drill through and hit the tank!
Hmm, interesting... That bracket is mounted on a part of the bulkhead that protrudes into the trunk space. Let's say that part of the bulkhead sticks out 1" from the back of the bulkhead. Would that mean there is at least 1" of space between the gas tank and the face of the bulkhead ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: My parents purchased their first new Corvair Monza in 1961 (I was 8 years old), and upgraded to a new Corsa convertible in 1965.
I learned to drive in that Corsa and took my initial drivers test in that car. Today, at age 64 I still drive a Corvair (a 1966 Corsa convertible). We have driven Corvairs all over the country and in Europe, while stationed there with the USAF from 1980-1983. We have a history that includes 10 Corvairs over the years. Except when we needed the trunk space during our cross-country family excursions, the spare tire was always stored in the trunk. When the space was needed we moved the spare back to the engine compartment. We never felt any need to secure the spare in the trunk with some type of bracket. We simply placed it in the center of the trunk, leaning against the shelf, and that was that.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to attach the spare to some type of bracket in the trunk. It does just fine planted in the center — leaning back against the package shelf.

Some go to great extremes to package their spare, but I would recommend just driving the Corvair and enjoying it. Don't overthink every detail, or you might end up with something like this!

:eek: :whoa: :sad5:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Here's the problem with your suggestion. If I lean the spare back against the bulkhead and come to a sudden stop, the spare will continue moving forward till it hits the front of the trunk. Now with $300 rims, I'd prefer that didn't happen. My tires are 15x7 and will not fit in the engine compartment - the turbo is in the way. So, some method of securing the spare in the trunk would be advisable IMHO. I like azdave's suggestion, just wondering about clearance between the gas tank and the extended bulkhead section.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

acarlson wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:23 pm Here's the problem with your suggestion. If I lean the spare back against the bulkhead and come to a sudden stop, the spare will continue moving forward till it hits the front of the trunk. Now with $300 rims, I'd prefer that didn't happen. My tires are 15x7 and will not fit in the engine compartment - the turbo is in the way. So, some method of securing the spare in the trunk would be advisable IMHO. I like azdave's suggestion, just wondering about clearance between the gas tank and the extended bulkhead section.
There will be AT LEAST the depth from the top of that feature to the bottom of the stampings on either side. I can't speak for the LM, but on the EM there is even considerably more... by an inch at least. A gas tank is not a precision fit piece, even on modern cars where precision is feasable.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That is why you must weld in a bracket so the spare is mounted solidly.
001.JPG
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

It won't go flying if you lay the tire down in the bottom instead of laying against the bulkhead.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

thewolfe wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:38 am It won't go flying if you lay the tire down in the bottom instead of laying against the bulkhead.
I could still go flying around in abrupt maneuvers or a crash situation if not securely mounted. All spare tires (or any heavy objects in a car) should be securely mounted so they can not easily become projectiles in a crash.

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Planning the contents of your Corvair trunk should not be limited to just a spare tire. There are other things to consider…

Good ideas for an emergency roadside repair kit for your old Corvair would include items that might be needed by a DIY Corvair enthusiast that would permit roadside repairs and safe roadside activity to get your car back on the road in the event of a breakdown. The Corvair trunk should not be a lonely place that is only occupied by a spare tire! Don't forget a Corvair shop manual for your model year to guide you with any roadside repair. A small tool set including a assortment of wrenches, screwdrivers, socket sets, etc. will cover many roadside repairs. We live in a world where many mechanics would be baffled and confused by a 1960s vintage Corvair. Some critical spare parts might also be generally unavailable from the majority of local auto parts stores. Insurance towing coverage such as AAA is a good idea, so that the car can be moved to a safe location in the event of a breakdown. But then what? Some tools, a shop manual, and some critical spare parts might make many things possible instead of leaving you stranded at some remote location. Some careful planning can turn your Corvair trunk into an oasis that is filled with possibilities for getting your car back on the road. A spare tire alone hardly addresses many of the issues that might come up if you drive your Corvair regularly — especially far from home!

:think: :idea: I would add a spare fuel pump and a spare clutch cable or one of Clark's "Take Apart Clutch Cables" (the latter if your Corvair is a 4-speed). A failure of either one is a "show stopper". Both can fail without warning, and both are relatively easy to replace while on a trip should they fail. (They also can be nearly impossible to find at a local auto parts supplier).

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=112

Also, I recommended a few safety items that can be useful if you have to work under the car or have a roadside breakdown at night. Here are a few examples...

Compact jack stands. Never trust a scissors or hydraulic jack if you intend to crawl under the car. Also, unlike modern cars most Corvairs lack emergency flashers. Wheel chocks are a useful safety item that I first discovered bundled with my jack and lug wrench when I owned a Datsun 240Z. I always felt that was a thoughtful idea. Here are some examples...

Torin T43004 3 Ton Aluminum Jack Stands (Sold in Pairs)
:link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007X ... PDKIKX0DER

Valterra A10-0908 Red Wheel Chock
:link: http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-0908 ... 654&sr=1-1

3 FlareAlert 9.1.1 LED Emergency Beacon Flares with Storage Bag
:link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LQ ... UTF8&psc=1

A bright LED work light can last for many hours on a set of batteries, and can provide essential illumination for nighttime repairs on a dark road.

ImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I could still go flying around in abrupt maneuvers or a crash situation if not securely mounted. All spare tires (or any heavy objects in a car) should be securely mounted so they can not easily become projectiles in a crash.
I drive my car harder than most and have never had a situation where my unsecured spare ever moved, even around the tightest, fastest turns, hardest braking etc. For 11 years. It's like the trunk was made for the spare. It fits in that hole perfectly. If you do crash, where is the tire going to go? You would have to have a large, fast front impact for that tire to go flying out of the bottom of the trunk and at that point the whole front end is smashed in anyways. A tire is not going to go flying out of a crumpled front end. It simply doesn't have anywhere to go if you lay it flat like a pancake in the low part of the trunk. I'd be much more worried about other things in the trunk like tools and such flying around.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”