Sheet Metal ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Sheet Metal ?

Post by acarlson »

Now that my engine, diffy and tranny work is almost complete, I am going to start on the body work.

I am traveling right now and away from my Corsa, but I have an opportunity to buy the sheet metal I need to do the body work. This is something which would be difficult for me to get where I live (up in the north Georgia mountains).

I need to know what gauge the door panels are on the LM Vairs. I think it is 18 ga but I'm not positive. :dontknow:

Can someone verify that or let me know what the correct gauge is.

Thanks.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: Sheet Metal ?

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Recently began to do some body work too. The sheet metal is 18 gauge. I purchased a 1 ft. x 4 ft. for $6.79 at a sheet metal shop in our area.

Special note, though, the structural parts are 12 gauge. Recent purchase of 1 ft. x 4 ft. was $12.81.

Got a new Sears welder for Christmas and found out (the hard way) that sheet metal welding is done by tack welding. Be careful, it is pretty easy for new body guys to burn holes!!!!!!
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:14 pm Got a new Sears welder for Christmas and found out (the hard way) that sheet metal welding is done by tack welding. Be careful, it is pretty easy for new body guys to burn holes!!!!!!
Yep, you have to stitch the pieces together using tack welds and minimal heat in any one spot to avoid warping. Are you using mig or flux ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Flux Sucks...
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Mig welder.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

I have an older Sears Mig welder and used the flux core wire. I am not a great welder and that flux core really didn't help. Since I started on my coupe I went to solid wire of a smaller diameter and gas shielding and that little mig welder does a pretty nice job...even with me operating it. I was able to stitch my back panel and plug weld my cleco holes easily without chasing the edges of the sheet metal.
Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”