Turbo carb choke ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Turbo carb choke ?

Post by acarlson »

I have almost finished with my Corsa engine rebuild. There are 2 pipes connected to the turbo base for the choke heat supply. One pipe connects to the air cleaner to provide clean air which gets routed around the turbo base and out the second pipe to the carb choke. I have an electric choke installed which uses a heat sensor bolted to the head. Can I remove the 2 heat pipes and plug the turbo base, carb choke inlet and air filter outlet and get rid of choke plumbing I don't think I need ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: Turbo carb choke ?

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Have not had good experiences with electric choke systems. Various electrical problems will cause the choke to not open when the engine is warm, or stay open when the engine is cold.

The mechanical one really does work pretty good.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
notched

Post by notched »

The stock choke set up works very well when adjusted properly. As long as there are still good choke coils out there I see no need for an electric choke but thats just me and I have had a turbo for a long time.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
notched

Post by notched »

To answer your question yes you can plug off the 2 heat riser tubes.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Thanks for the comments about keeping the stock choke. Problem is, a previous owner already replaced the stock with electric - so that's what I have. I just didn't see a reason to keep the plumbing if it wasn't being used.

Sometimes there is some mystical reason that you shouldn't make some change to these cars and only 6 people know what that is. :nono: I'm just asking to make sure something like that doesn't apply to these choke heat tubes... :think:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
notched

Post by notched »

The only things you need is another choke coil and the 2 tubes to go back to stock. Get Bob Helt's book and adjust the choke properly. Nothing mystical about it. Stock equals no muss no fuss.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

notched wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:34 am The only things you need is another choke coil and the 2 tubes to go back to stock. Get Bob Helt's book and adjust the choke properly. Nothing mystical about it. Stock equals no muss no fuss.
Well, that's an idea... I already have Bob's book and the tubes. Looks like I can get the choke parts from Clarks. Might be good to have in case I want to restore the carb back to stock.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”