Fuel Water Filter

All Models and Years
lalkie

Fuel Water Filter

Post by lalkie »

I have a 65 Corsa and am installing a marine style water filter as the car sits for a couple of weeks at a time. I use shell premium gas and it collects water after 2 to 3 weeks. Has anyone done this and what were the results? I have a 56 mercury and have put one on it and it seems to work well. I also want to install a shut off valve in the line but have not found any information on this site about a shut off valve. I have searched and cant seem to find anything. I want to shut off the fuel to the carbs to drain the system. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Larry
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Fuel Water Filter

Post by bbodie52 »

FST Performance wrote:How often do I need to change the filter? (this is our #1 asked question)

This depends; how dirty is your fuel? You may be able to run several months on a spin-on/filter, then all of a sudden, it plugs up due to one batch of dirty fuel. This even happens with race fuels that have sat in tanks too long and collected water.
We recommend to change the fuel filter any time that you change your oil filter. Or, to get some type of time frame; every time you change the oil filter, remove the FST fuel filter and drain it into some type of clear container and let the fuel set; after a short time, look to see if there is any water (it will separate from the fuel)...if the "fuel" looks clear, then put a film of oil or grease on the filter seal and put it back on...if the fuel looks cloudy, change the filter.
:link: https://www.fstperformance.com/

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... tor+filter
There are many different designs, price ranges, filtration quality, etc. Do your homework on filter life, water drain capability, etc. Sounds like a good idea... especially with water separation capability from stale fuel and water absorbing modern gasolines. You've got me looking into it for my Corvair!

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
lalkie

Re: Fuel Water Filter

Post by lalkie »

I am using a Moeller water separator on my 56 mercury. I would like to get the one with the clear base that can be drained but did not want to spend the $50.00. Thanks for the response. Larry

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”