Check My Wiring?

All Models and Years
WinginEngineer

Check My Wiring?

Unread post by WinginEngineer » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:54 am

My 62 4 door's engine harness is in the same shape as most "project cars"... 50 years old, brittle, corroded, a couple questionable repairs, broken wires, etc... combine that with how many mods I'm making and the fact that I just rebuilt the whole drivetrain and I figure I should just build a new harness.

So I took the mods that I'm doing and hodge-podged them together using a few different schematics from posts here on the forum and I THINK I have a schematic I can use. That said, I never claimed to be an electrical engineer (in fact my only C in college was EE), so I thought I'd post it and let the more experienced and knowledgeable scan over it and make sure I don't fry my baby before she even starts.

As far as mods:

-I got ahold of a LM 35 amp alternator (at least I'm 80% sure its 35) which is replacing the generator. To go with that, since it is not internally regulated near as I can tell, I got a Delco Remy external regulator that just has spade terminals labeled 1-4.

- I'm adding a remote oil cooler with an electric fan. I also got a thermostatic control switch and relay to go with said fan.

- I put a high torque starter on it that just has the battery terminal and the start wire on it, so I also got a Ford starter relay to go with that to get my 12vdc start voltage to the coil.

Other than that (ha ha) she's bone stock. So with all that in mind, here is what I THINK I should be wiring to... give me any thoughts you have and let me know if I screwed up anywhere (forgive the visual appearance of my schematic... I'm no artist either)...
20170716_012812.jpg
Kevin - Maricopa/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700

Jerry Whitt

Re: Check My Wiring?

Unread post by Jerry Whitt » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Enlarged your drawing, and found hand printed words not clear, hard to read.

One item seemed really out of place. Using an alternator with a separate voltage regulator. The integral type alternators work very well, and the wiring is easy. If you changed the generator bracket for the alternator type,
the integral alternator works very well and will produce double the amperage of what you guess is the rating of the alternator you have.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible

WinginEngineer

Unread post by WinginEngineer » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:13 am

Jerry, there are two words to explain my choice of alternator: cost and opportunity.

The bracketry for the alternator was included my baskets of parts. My generator was shot and would have required a full rebuild. I found a nice gentleman in Apache Junction who's Corvair hobby got out of hand and he was willing to take my burned up generator and give me his LM alternator for $50.

Down the road I will probably put a 90 amp in it, but for now 35 should be sufficient.

You'd never guess by the $3,000 I've spent on this car in the last 2 months, but I am TRYING to keep the costs down :)
1962 Corvair 700

WinginEngineer

Unread post by WinginEngineer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:56 pm

Nothin'? No one?

I'm wiring up now...

Particularly i'm concerned with the alternator wiring. The diagram I've done has pin 3 of the regulator tied to the pin on the main harness just bellow the hot from the alternator.
All the diagrams I found for a generator system show that going there, but the onky alternator diagram showed that trace stopping in mid air on its way to the main harness without any termination or destination on the diagram.

Can someone confirm at least that part so I don't cook the charging system? :)
1962 Corvair 700

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”