Lifter questions...

All Models and Years
acarlson

Lifter questions...

Post by acarlson »

I've spent the last couple of days installing the heads on my Corsa engine. I installed all new lifters since I installed a new cam.

1. Once I got the rockers adjusted, I checked the rocker-to-lifter range of motion by rotating the rocker so that the pushrod is depressed into the lifter cylinder. 11 of the 12 lifters all have the same range of motion. One of the lifters only has about 66% of the range indicating that the lifter piston is bottoming out earlier then the other 11. I have adjusted this specific rocker multiple times with the same result. Is this something I need to take action on or is it fine the way it is ? It's easier for me to replace the lifter while the engine is on my stand then when it's installed in the car...

2. I know that the small hole in the pushrod needs to be pointed up (at 12 o'clock). However there is an oil hole in the lifter as well. Is there a specific orientation required for the lifter ?

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: Lifter questions...

Post by Jerry Whitt »

The lifter port in the block is not centered on the camshaft lobe, but offset to cause the lifter to turn, as the cam rotates. The push rod has holes in each end, allowing oil to flow through the push rod tube. At the top end of the push rod is a hole that allows oil to lubricate the rocker arm indention and pivot ball. Near the top of the push rod is another hole on the side of the push rod that allows oil to squirt onto other moving parts.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Re: Lifter questions...

Post by 66vairguy »

I think what Jerry was trying to say is "The pushrods rotate with the lifter" so don't worry about were the side hole is pointed.

Sorry, but I could not understand the how you were checking the rocker movement.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”