1964 monza shifting issue

All Models and Years
Mbrannon64

1964 monza shifting issue

Post by Mbrannon64 »

So my dad and I are working on the 64 it's not wanting to shift right. When the car is running and sitting still it shifts great through all gears. When the back wheels are off the ground and it's running it shifts great through all gears. But under load going down the road it doesn't want to go In and out of gear it doesn't grind or any thing as soon as you come to a stop it will shift. We have adjusted the clutch but not much h improvement. Anyone have any thoughts
Jerry Whitt

Re: 1964 monza shifting issue

Post by Jerry Whitt »

What would cause the clutch disc to continue to turn when the clutch pedal is depressed?
1. A possible cause would be the transmission input shaft is very tight in the pilot bushing. This would cause the disc to continue to turn and in turn cause difficulty in shifting.

2. Another possibility is a clutch disc stuck to the flywheel. This could happen if the disc and flywheel got wet and rusted together.

3. If fluid in the transmission is very very thick, might cause the sychro system to not work.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

Ok so dad and I finally got the motor and tranny out today. as I had said in my intro We bought this car as a father and son project father was a mechanic for GM when the corvair came out and god love my father he is 78 and most of the problems we are coming across he never had to deal with so thanks to everyone here. looks like or problem is the pinion gear nice chunk pissing off the end not allowing to let the throwout bearing to move into place. looks like a new one from clarks is 300 bucks and dad and I are not sure how to replace it or should we look for a donor transaxle. thanks for any help that can be provided
or does someone want to buy a very nice unmolested 64 Monza. lol
Mike
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

ok I just saw something on a website calling it the throwout bearing shaft "snout" so I'm confused
so it looks like the pinion grear slids up into the snout, so its just the snout that is broke.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

When replacing your clutch, I would caution you to be careful when separating the engine from the transaxle.

:wrench: The problem with the manual transaxle is that the long input shaft (23-24 inches) tends to remain embedded in the pilot bushing and clutch disc, while the other (smaller) end of the splined shaft pulls free from the transmission. As the two heavy components separate, any misalignment that is permitted risks leverage being applied by the input shaft against the throwout bearing shaft, which can fracture this machined casting. Replacing a damaged throwout bearing shaft requires dismantling the differential.

Even if you remove the powertrain as an assembly, use caution when separating the heavy transaxle from the engine. If the input shaft remains embedded in the clutch, you must pull the transaxle straight back about 24 inches until the other end clears the transaxle. If you have an assistant, the assistant may be able to reach between the differential face and the bell housing to grab the input shaft and pull it free from the clutch assembly — reducing the risk of damaging the input shaft, clutch disc, or throwout bearing shaft.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=124
Part number C7463: THROW OUT BEARING SHAFT FOR 2 SEALS NEEDS(2)SEALS-60-63=C494,64-69=C495 & 1 C1179

Weight: 1 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 124(14),OT,26
Price: $ 48.75

With the engine and transaxle separated, be sure to inspect the throwout bearing shaft completely for cracks or fractures. The input shaft seal should be replaced when doing a clutch job, to ensure that no gear lube will leak onto the clutch assembly during operation. Also, when prying the input shaft retaining ring and seal out, be careful not to apply leverage against the end of the throwout bearing shaft, as excess leverage with a screwdriver or similar tool could conceivably cause a crack to form on the throwout bearing shaft.

The following Corvair Forum link can provide you with a list of useful websites that should be helpful as a Corvair owner...

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

Corvair Forum :link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007
Attachments
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1961 Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 13 times
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle.pdf
1964 Supplement - Chevrolet Corvair Shop Manual - Section 6c - Rear Axle
(661.15 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Mbrannon64

Post by Mbrannon64 »

thanks for the reply everything came about fairly easy input shaft came right out on both ends. and no sign of the piece of metal that had broke off the throw out bearing shaft. we that that was very strange. from what I understand the whole transaxle needs to be disassembled to replace the shaft. I sure hope we can figure that one out.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”