Oil Slinger...

All Models and Years
acarlson

Oil Slinger...

Post by acarlson »

When I dismantled my engine I removed the oil slinger. There was a washer with it. I didn't note where the washer went - in front of the slinger or behind it. All the images I can find on the net don't even mention a washer and none of the Corvair parts companies (Mikes, Clarks, California, ...) that sell a replacement slinger don't list a washer with it.
SlingerSM.jpg
SlingerSM.jpg (117 KiB) Viewed 602 times
So, is there supposed to be a slinger washer (I seem to have one) and if so does it go before the slinger (against the balancer) or behind the slinger (against the distributor gear) ??

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Scott V

Re: Oil Slinger...

Post by Scott V »

theres no slinger washer.

look on page 6-52 of the shop manual. if you dont have a shop manual.........get it.......real good info in there!

-Scott V.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I do have the Shop manual AND the Assembly manual. As I said I couldn't find any reference to a washer. The washer was on the crank however - in front of the slinger I believe. Since there is no key way in it, I had to remove the key to get the slinger off the crank. I'm just trying to find out if it was supposed to be there and if I need to reinstall it...
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have never seen a washer there before...someone trying to space out the balancer a little perhaps (worn balancer in the past making a leak?).
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

It helps when you mention what year engine and what year manuals you are looking at.

Figure 56 pg 6-32 in the 65 shop manual shows the assembly. Fuel pump eccentric, spacer, distrb/oil pump gear, slinger, and the harmonic damper goes on. You never know what someone have kludged in an engine. Before I put the end cover on I install the harmonic damper to make sure everything goes tight. Folks have had bizarre issues only to find out the distb/oil pump gear was sliding back and forth.

Figure 119 on pg 6-52 shows the same, but no slinger in the picture.
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

If none of the manuals show it, I am with Ted. Probably someone trying to move the balancer out to a non-worn spot on the sealing surface. Weren't aware of Speedy Sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”