Aftermarket Gauges... What to use?

All Models and Years
WinginEngineer

Aftermarket Gauges... What to use?

Post by WinginEngineer »

I figure I can't be the only one who would like instrumentation on his corvair, so I'm hoping someone has done it and knows what to use.

I'd like to put a volt meter, oil pressure, and oil temp gauge on my 62 4-door. I live in Phoenix so it's just good measure to see problems coming before it's too late.

I bought a triple set from Bosch that are 1.5" mechanical gauges. They are the perfect size to put under the cluster on the left-hand side above the e-brake handle.

The problem is the sensor tubing for the temp and pressure gauges is 3 or 4 (maybe even 5) feet too short to reach the back of the car to plumb them in. I can't find electric gauges that small (or cheap) nor can I find extension kits or something of the sort.

Suggestions? What have you guys done?
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
dave t

Re: Aftermarket Gauges... What to use?

Post by dave t »

The most efficient way to install gauges on a corvair would be electric. That way there are no hoses for oil psi. As for the temp, I suggest a cylinder head temp rather than oil temp. The cylinders will change temp much faster than oil temp. Put a bolt on the head sender hole to hold the gauge thermocouple to the head. Works much better than under a spark plug.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

WinginEngineer

Re: Aftermarket Gauges... What to use?

Post by WinginEngineer »

Ok, I'm gonna look dumb, but I'm not gonna feel too bad because I AM new to air cooled cars...

Is there a seperate kind of gauge specifically designed for cylinder head temperature? How would I read the gauge? In other words, I'm pretty darn comfortable with standard oil and water temps and when they're low/high, but what temp should heads run at?

Next, I kinda figured electric was the way to go, but I can't find any small enough... or cgeaper than $80/gauge. Do you have any gauges that you recomend?
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”