Oil Leak

All Models and Years
SeamusNZ

Oil Leak

Post by SeamusNZ »

Hi from New Zealand,

I have an annoying oil leak that I haven't been able to rectify. The oil is leaking along the right hand, rear edge of the oil pan. I have replaced the oil pan with a Clark's aluminum pan and I have replaced all gaskets on the rear of the engine. I have put a new rubber gasket on the oil pan. - all to no effect. The oil still leaks on. Any ideas where is could be coming from. The push rod tubes are dry and clean.....

Kind regards...SeamusNZ
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Oil Leak

Post by bbodie52 »

:think: I'm trying to imagine possible sources for oil seepage in the area you described (right rear, lower edge of the oil pan). Is it possible that oil is collecting at this point simply because any oil seepage from a higher location would tend to accumulate at that point? Removing the lower shroud and leaving it off, and then thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the region might reveal the source of any new oil accumulation.

The oil dipstick tube, for example, is in that area. Excessive crankcase pressure buildup that is not being successfully bled off by the PCV system has been known to cause oil to be forced from the crankcase and up to the top of the dipstick tube. Crankcase pressure can cause oil to siphon from the crankcase. If this happens it normally sprays into the engine compartment and makes a mess in the area around the dipstick. I suppose that it might be possible that oil is being forced slowly up the tube and then might be running down the outside of the tube and then collecting at the bottom of the crankcase in the area you described. You already mentioned that you have eliminated the pushrod tubes as a possible source. The only other possibility I can think of on the right side might be seepage from the engine top cover if it is loose. Oil spray from the rotating crankshaft could be seeping from the contact area between the engine top cover and the right side of the crankcase. Again, a thorough cleaning and degreasing followed by careful monitoring of that side of the engine might reveal a fresh collection of the oil that is leaking on that side.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
skipvair

Re: Oil Leak

Post by skipvair »

You can also buy fluorescent leak detector that you add to the oil and the use a black light to find the source.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”