Any ideas as to tossed belts?

All Models and Years
firstgencamarojunkie

Any ideas as to tossed belts?

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

A couple weeks ago I tossed my first belt. It was on a surface street so I was able to pull over, put it back on, and continue. I've since put a new OTTO belt on and things have been fine. What I'm finding now however is that my "Corvair driving experience" has been severely degraded because I'm obsessed about watching the dash idiot light in case the engine tosses another belt: don't want to "miss" the idiot light and destroy my engine. There has to be a better solution - so - I put it to the group - what have people done in regards to some kind of alarm / alert when you toss a belt so as to make it easier / more immediate rather than having to glance down at the dash every 10-20 seconds?
Jerry Whitt

Re: Any ideas as to tossed belts?

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Your note seems to indicate a real fear of loosing a belt. Keep in mind that the engine will not over heat in just a few seconds.

Driving a mile or two wont cause excessive heat. I have driven more than 3 miles when there were not any other choices, and the engine did not suffer any problems.

The solution to your fear is simple. Carry an extra belt, a couple wrenches and a short pry bar. The old Boy Scouts motto, "Be Prepared" will keep you feeling better.

Oh! By the way, most of the newe belts are better than those available in the 1960s.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Is it possible to splice in a buzzer or bell into the dash light wire so it sounds when it gets to hot?? :dontknow:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

64powerglide wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:45 pm Is it possible to splice in a buzzer or bell into the dash light wire so it sounds when it gets to hot?? :dontknow:
Yes, but keep in mind that every time you go to start the car you will hear the buzzer or bell until the light goes out. A delay circuit could be added, BUT unless you are an experienced electrical person it's not practical to do.
toytron

Post by toytron »

There is someone on one of the Facebook forums that wired a buzzer into the circuit with a switch. He switches it off while he is starting the car then turns it on after it is running. I would agree that I would find it annoying too. Jerry is correct keep a spare and some tools. You might want to do a search to see what people have recommended to keep with you in case of small emergencies.

Ed Stevenson

Last edited by toytron on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

I could always tell the second they came off. It got really quiet and the power increases immediately in a noticeable amount.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”