Joining the Trans and Differential

All Models and Years
Phibee55

Joining the Trans and Differential

Post by Phibee55 »

Hey-
Before bolting a LM 4-spd to the differential, do you put any lube on the transmission shaft like grease or gear oil? Shop manual doesn't seem to get into this detail, and I've not done this before. Same question about installing the input shaft.

Thanks for your help.
Phil
Nickshu

Re: Joining the Trans and Differential

Post by Nickshu »

I do a little on the clutch splines. Not much. Also make yourself some guide pins so that you can align the two halves without worrying about damaging the pilot bushing area on the input shaft. Get four long lag bolts from the hardware store, cut them off, screw them into the trans case/bell housing to guide into position.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
Phibee55

Post by Phibee55 »

Hey-
Thanks! I like the guide pins idea. I will do that. Since I've not done this before, I am a bit worried about damaging something.

Thanks again!
Phil
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Here are some pictures and a link to the post...

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... ins#p82601

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
dave t

Post by dave t »

I cut a slot in the pins for easier removal with a screwdriver

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Phibee55 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:32 pm Hey-
Before bolting a LM 4-spd to the differential, do you put any lube on the transmission shaft like grease or gear oil? Shop manual doesn't seem to get into this detail, and I've not done this before. Same question about installing the input shaft.

Thanks for your help.
Phil
If you are talking about transmission output shaft fitting into the ring/pinion shaft inner splines - YES. As most know the ring/pinion shaft inner splines do wear to the point of failure. The two shafts move and cause wear, fortunately the transmission out output shaft splines rarely wear. In years past some drilled a hole in the ring/pinion shaft to let in gear oil, but of course that creates a weak spot. I use a wheel bearing lube with moly in it and apply it to the splines, not sure what others do. BTW - You did inspect the ring/pinion shaft inner splines! If worn beyond 50% you are on borrowed time. Some run them down to 30% remaining.
Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

Be careful with pins that long if you have the engine tin in place... They're hard or impossible to remove if they are that long as they will hit the engine tin when backing out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”