EM rear wheel bearing thoughts...

All Models and Years
ncoonen

Post by ncoonen »

After several years of fitful interior renovation, I am ready to tackle some deferred maintenance on my 68k mile '61 3-speed Lakewood. Plus, I have a big road trip coming up as we are moving from Illinois to Colorado.

The car is mechanically original as far as I can tell. Having just replaced the rear wheel studs, I am pretty sure the rear wheel bearings are original and have never been serviced. The last long drive this car took was the 2,000 mile trip to Chicago from Oakland, CA when I bought the car seven years ago. (That trip went smoothly after a stop to buy tires in Winnemucca, NV. The Les Schwab Store had sets of two different tires with fresh dates available in 185/80R13. Wow.)

Anyway, I am concerned about the bearings now that they are 56 years old. They are quiet and smooth but the car generally goes just a few miles at a time these days. It feels like the time is right to do something with a long drive coming up. Or should I just leave them alone??? :think:

I have a good set of axles from a '64 coupe that I parted a few years ago but the two bearings are completely different from each other and at least of them is dry and nasty. They'd make good cores and would need to be rebuilt.

Since my current bearings seem good - smooth and quiet without excessive play - can I count on them for a 1,000 miles over a couple of days or should I re-do them now with a new bearing kit? Thoughts??? I have looked into the pros and cons of re-greasing apparently good bearings and was set to try that but found too many "don't bother" stories. I have a needle greaser or would be willing to drill a couple of holes in each housing for a zerk and a vent.

Would appreciate all comments and suggestions.

...ned.
1961 Lakewood 500, mostly original, completely cool.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Ned, mine are also quiet and smooth and during my last axle removal (for another job) I pulled the outer most seal off and packed as much grease into it as I could. Then popped the seal back in. I didn't want to unrivet them and pull them apart just for some greasing. I also tried to use a needle grease fitting, but found just forcing grease in with my index finger seemed to be working well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
66vairguy

Re: EM rear wheel bearing thoughts...

Post by 66vairguy »

A buddy with a 62 that he just purchased went through a fiasco with the EM wheel bearings. One axle was "pretty" with lots of powder coat, but the bearing was missing the splash shield and housing shim so the axle moved in an out more than spec. When he got the housing apart there was lots of new grease and a pitted and chipped bearing - JUNK.

What he learned: A lot of "rebuilt" axles are just re-greased bearings and nice powder coat or paint. At one time if a bearing failed it was common to just find a good used axle, open the housing and grease the bearing. I know somebody who has done this for decades.

Now good used axles are getting hard to find. There were two types of bearing HOUSINGS (same bearing) - 60-62, and 63-64. The 60-62 will supposedly fit in the 63-64 but no vice versa (unsure about this). The 63 backing plate was revised for self adjusting brakes. The 64 backing plate was revised for the "strap" suspension.

Ned - you can pull the axle(s) and on a 60-62 and drill out the rivets in the steel housing and pull it apart and check the bearing, if good then grease it and go (once bolted into the backing plate the housing can't come apart - the rivets held the housing together during installation). If the bearing is bad you need the proper tools to pull the bearing housing. Now Clark's sells a replacement bearing and shims, or the completed bearing and housing. PROPER installation is critical. Clark's has the tools.

Hope this helped.
ncoonen

Re: EM rear wheel bearing thoughts...

Post by ncoonen »

Gents - thanks for your helpful replies. Complicating this issue for me slightly is that I have the entire front and rear suspension from the '64 parts car with crossmember etc. plus the four-speed manual, diff and correct input shaft that I hope to use on my Lakewood eventually. I just don't have time now to get that done before the long drive. I think for now I will leave the car as is but pull the axles and check the bearings. If they look okay, I'll grease them up and put it all back together. If they look suspicious, then it's time to decide which axles to rebuild and which suspension to run.
1961 Lakewood 500, mostly original, completely cool.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”