Post by Dlbarnes1962 »

2 door

Sent from my LG-M153 using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Removal of front crossmember1968 corsa

Post by bbodie52 »

:wave: :welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

The removal procedure is pretty much the same for all Corvairs. The 1965 and later cars have a speedometer cable added to the left-front spindle, and the steering assembly has variations over the years. Most 1963 and earlier Corvairs do not have a front stabilizer bar.

The first page of the attached 1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT SUSPENSION shows the attachment points. Page SUSPENSION 3-14 of the attached 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION discusses the front suspension crossmember.

1965 Corvair Front Suspension Crossmember.jpg
See the following link...

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... ont#p84755

The link below will provide you with a list of useful websites that are Corvair-related. Some of the links will lead you to an extensive technical library that will allow you to download shop manuals and other technical references in Adobe Reader format at no cost. There is also a link that will help you to locate nearby CORSA (Corvair Society of America) club chapters. While the Corvair Forum can be very helpful as you work on your Corvair, having local friends and contacts in your region who are knowledgeable about the Corvair can also be very helpful. These family-friendly CORSA chapters often offer picnics, group scenic drives, technical training and assistance, car shows, and competition events that can greatly enhance your enjoyment of Corvair ownership. You will also find a list of essential Corvair parts suppliers. Clark's Corvair Parts is the biggest and oldest Corvair supplier in the world. You will find a link that can provide you with a series of videos that amount to a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. I think you will be amazed at the quality of the reproduction components they offer — particularly the interior carpeting and re-upholstery items. Parts suppliers such as this truly make our Corvair hobby possible.

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:chevy: :welcome:
Attachments
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT SUSPENSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Assembly Manual - FRONT SUSPENSION
(1.76 MiB) Downloaded 19 times
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 3 - FRONT SUSPENSION
(4.67 MiB) Downloaded 18 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

For a handy reference, there's a nice, step-by-step procedure for both removal and installation on page 3-14 of the '65 service manual.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

cnicol wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:14 am For a handy reference, there's a nice, step-by-step procedure for both removal and installation on page 3-14 of the '65 service manual.
It is amazing how much data is in the GM service manual. It would be wonderful if everyone trying to work on these cars would come off the very few dollars to purchase one, that way they would not have to wait to do repairs until someone else tells them (perhaps incorrectly) what they could have already know by referring to the manual .
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost:

I always try to reference the applicable section(s) of the shop manual and supplements, and usually attach a copy of the section(s) and advise where the shop manual, supplements, etc. can be downloaded for free. I made reference to page 3-14 and attached a copy above, and provided a link to some "how to" videos as well.

I learned as a teen in the 1960s the value of the factory shop manuals, and try to encourage their use as the very first guide to turn to. Effective communication is critical on this forum, yet the opening post did not even contain a question! We had to guess by the subject title only, (You would think that the Corvair Forum charges per word!) In any case, many answers can be found in the shop manual, and even very experienced Corvair mechanics begin each job by opening their copy of the shop manual as a primary reference tool... the first tool they pick up!

In the Air Force we were taught to ALWAYS refer to the TECHNICAL ORDERS (shop manuals) when performing any maintenance task, no matter how experienced we were (or thought we were). It was good policy that Corvair owners should adhere to!

:chevy: :wrench:
Brad Bodie
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

bbodie52 wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:18 pm
In the Air Force we were taught to ALWAYS refer to the TECHNICAL ORDERS (shop manuals) when performing any maintenance task, no matter how experienced we were (or thought we were). It was good policy that Corvair owners should adhere to!

:chevy: :wrench:
Did not know you were prior Air Force Brad. Something we both have in common (I was in USAF avionics maintenance from 1981-1992). You had better have that Technical Order out and open before you touch anything on an Air Force aircraft!! I have done more work on Corvairs than most people and still use the manual all the time as no one including me can remember every little procedure that it calls out. Some procedures are not particularly consequential but some are, and following the "directions" often makes the job easier. LOL if the manual saves backing up and redoing something only once it has paid for itself:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yeah Brad I thought you were Navy! I don't know why maybe it was something you had alluded to in the past that made me think that.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

24 years (1972-1996) as an Air Force Telecommunications Systems Control Technician. including fixed station communications (microwave radio relay and satellite systems) and mobile combat communications systems (major deployment in Saudi Arabia and surrounding countries during Desert Shield/Desert Storm), along with some work in nuclear weapons electronic security systems and Korean Combat Support (computer) Systems. After retirement I was a computer network administrator and computer maintenance technician for a private company in Pennsylvania and Delaware before moving to North Carolina to help my aging father. Pretty much retired now.

Working on avionics and anything having to do with aircraft is done with very strict maintenance rules, with everything cross-checked and verified. We didn't work under quite as strict rules, but the military does teach professionalism to get the job done correctly and to minimize mistakes. Works well on Corvairs, too!
Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”