Transmission rebuilt kit problem. HELP!!!

All Models and Years
WinginEngineer

Transmission rebuilt kit problem. HELP!!!

Post by WinginEngineer »

Now I gone and done it.

I ordered a powerglide rebuild kit on ebay for $95 that CLAIMED to fit the corvair. I opened the kit this morning, dropped the clutches in a bath of trans fluid, and proceeded to tear it open the transmission.

These kits always come with extra valve body gaskets for different configurations/models, so i grabbed the 4 in the kit to match 'em up and guess what... they ain't even close!

Neither is the pump gasket. Way too big and none of the holes line up.

Clearly i was wrong in my assumption that the powerglide was the same internally for the rwd cars.

So now I'm in a pickle. First, will the clutches at least be the same or is this entire kit useless?

Second, if the clutches/steels i have will work, is the gasket kit from clarks sufficient to finish the job? Or do i need that rediculous $350 some odd rebuild kit (a B&M kit is only $230, the prices at clarks are always so dang high).

Last, the servo spring (i think that's what it's called) is busted. I see some for the "powerglide" but after this kit nightmare i want to make sure those springs will fit. Thoughts?
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Transmission rebuilt kit problem. HELP!!!

Post by bbodie52 »

This question is addressed here...

:link: http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.ph ... 814,883860

It sounds like the only thing the two transmission designs have in common is GM parentage, the name "Powerglide", two-forward speeds (but no PARK for the Corvair), and the same blood type (DEXRON).
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

anytime you see something on the internet that says it *fits* the vair...........it prob doesnt. youll find radiator caps / water pumps / & all sorts of parts listed that say it *fits* the vair.

best to buy from a vair vendor......or if you really know it does fit a vair......then take your chances.

-Scott V.
notched

Post by notched »

The only conventional Powerglides that share anything with the Corvair are the aluminum 62-63 models and those share the reverse and high clutch packs and maybe the vacuum modulator. Everything else is unique to the Corvair.
Most of those kits on Ebay are for 64-73 Powerglide models which everything is different.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

So what then do I do about a servo spring?
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
toytron

Post by toytron »

I would try and return it to the ebay vendor and file with ebay telling them it was listed incorrectly.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
notched

Post by notched »

WinginEngineer wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:12 pm So what then do I do about a servo spring?
Contact a used parts vendor such as California Corvairs or the Corvair Ranch and get a used one.
I would have no problems using a used one.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Was going to comment, but no matter what I say, it would come out badly. We have all learned from "hits" like that. It sucks. Clarks, IMO has great customer service, and they know what they are talking about. I have seen where they are somewhat higher than other places, but rarely way out of line. We have expensive hobbies and toys.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

On further inspection the clutches and steels do match, only difference is that the kit has almost double the number as the transmission. Which is good because I had already put them in to soak before I realized what I'd done.

So I'll chalk that up to a $100 clutch pack and a lesson learned.

I ordered the gasket/seal kit from Clark's for an additional $90, which was harder than it needed to be, but now I know google chrome and Clarks' website don't play well together.

Tomorrow I'll be taking a trip to Apache Junction for an alternator and god willing a servo spring. Failing that I have to tear down my other transmission and hope the spring is good.

Thanks for the input. I'll update ya'll when I get-r-done.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”