Gasket Sealer

All Models and Years
gnrand

Gasket Sealer

Post by gnrand »

I thought I would pass this along based on my experience. I have seen my Buick GN and Corvair mark their spots with oil and have tried different sealers to correct the leaks. Several years ago I used Right Stuff in areas that did not come in contact with fuel (not compatible) and had good success. I recently rebuilt my 140 Corvair engine and the Otto pan leaked using the correct gasket. Well a new gasket and Right Stuff fixed the issue. I also used this sealer on the gasket between the 4 speed and transaxle. I am about to pull my leaky 1968 140 engine to reseal it and change the clutch, I will report back when it is completed.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Gasket Sealer

Post by bbodie52 »

:dontknow: Is this the Right Stuff?
"link: https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-99070-R ... Stuff&th=1

Permatex 99070 The Right Stuff Gasket Maker, 5 oz. - 2 Pack with Caulking Gun
  • Seals instantly, forming a reliable, long lasting elastomeric rubber gasket; eliminates the need for pre-formed, pre-cut, paper, rubber or cork gaskets
  • Blowout resistant, allowing leakproof gaskets to be made in just one minute; protects against leaks and seepage caused by vibration and thermal expansion
  • Formulated to meet or exceed performance standards for long-term sealability, durability and handling; this material is used on OEM production lines and specified in their service parts programs
  • Temperature Range: -75°F to 450°F (-59°C to 232°C) continuous, 500°F (260°C) intermittent
  • Suggested Applications: Automotive, heavy duty, and marine gaskets, valve covers, gearbox covers, pumps, oil pans, thermostat housings, water pumps
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

That is it. It is pricey but it works.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I just use a little Indian head shellac or aviation shellac on cork gaskets and never have leak issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
notched

Post by notched »

I am always hesitant to use rtv of any kind because no matter how careful you are the excess always manages to find its way to the pick up screen. There are other Corvair guys such as Dave Motohead who have plenty of Corvair engine pictures ruined with rtv.
Attachments
DSCF5244.JPG
DSCF5248.JPG
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I have seen so many engines Destroyed with silicone sealant its stupid, especially Corvair engines, I will never use silicone EVER on a Corvair and I never have leaks, make sure your sealing surfaces are prepared correctly, put a straight edge on them,flat sand if necessary, No leaks, toss the silicone in the Trash where it belongs!
66Monza140

Post by 66Monza140 »

But, but, but it comes with the handy applicator gun to make sure you have enuff on there!!!! :eek:
Case R.
1966 Monza 140 coupe
Western Champlain Valley, Vermont
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I would NOT use "Right Stuff" on the gasket between the trans and diff. You need a sealer that does NOT interfere with clearances - Right Stuff is a fast setup sealer - NOT GOOD. Reminds me of a buddy that called to say his Chevy V8 manifold would not FIT when he installed new gaskets. I went over and looked - GOOD GRIEF - the RTV sealer had set up before he got the manifold down on the heads so the gasket was nearly three times as thick!

Removed the RTV, new gaskets with Permatex Spray Hi-Tack (thin and does not harden so it tolerates expansion movement similar to Gasket Cinch, but Spray Hi-Tack applies more evenly) and everything lined up fine.
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I am very careful not to use gasket seal. A very thin coat is all you need with Right Stuff. I have seen over use of silicon and some folks think more is better. I have not had any issues and will continue to use it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

1965 140 Corsa
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
gnrand

Re: RE: Re: Metal fuel inlet valve (replaces needle and seat in carb)

Post by gnrand »

66vairguy wrote:Glad it all worked out.

Years ago I was helping with an EM turbo car. It was pouring gas out the air cleaner. The carburetor had been rebuilt and a new fuel filter installed. Folks took the carburetor apart and could find nothing wrong. It was assumed the float needle was bad. I had my magnifying glass in the tool kit and pulled out the float needle and there it was - a little piece of paper, barely visible. It probably came out of the new filter. Removed the debris out of the valve and assembled the carburetor, it worked fine.

Another issue is when you let a car sit the carburetors dry out. This can gum up the carburetor on first start up. I've had it happen on old cars, not just Corvairs. On a first start up after sitting awhile you have to keep an eye on things. Usually a stuck float valve will loosen up.

gnrand wrote:I am very careful not to use to much gasket seal. A very thin coat is all you need with Right Stuff. I have seen over use of silicon and some folks think more is better. I have not had any issues and will continue to use it.

1965 140 Corsa
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

Why use it when its not needed? Why take a chance when you do not need to, Even when the applicator was trying to be careful I have found tiny strings of it holding oil bypass valves open, I have been building these engines for over 40 years and have never needed RTV and never will, But I have Repaired numerous (Rebuilt) engines destroyed from RTV, The fact it comes with its own caulking gun is in itself scary! :eek:
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

The Vair Shop only ever used Permatex Right Stuff on pan gaskets on both the engine and PG and we never had issues with it. We would use Clark's paper gaskets and apply it as thinly as possible.

The Right Stuff is different from other RTVs, I'm not sure what makes it different, but it requires the caulk gun because of how thick it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I never used a caulking gun with right stuff. They sell a pressurized can which I use. I believe the can suggests you assemble within 5 minutes of applying. I have never seen Right Stuff in an oil filter or a pickup screen. This is a rubberized product that stays where you apply it. Works great on oil pans and valve covers.
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

I have never used it on oil pans or Valve covers, I never have leaks, to each his own.
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Which pan gaskets are you using Dave?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
notched

Post by notched »

By trade I have been a technician for many years as well as worked in several performance shops. Some people use it for intake end seals on a lot of V6 and V8 engines. I have used Right Stuff and taken engines apart that used it.It still can get squeezed into the engine if you apply too much. It acts just like regular rtv in that aspect. It has it's place but I have not found any on a Corvair. I use either Gaskacinch or Aviation Permatex with paper gaskets. I do not use cork or rubber gaskets. For valve covers I use the blue silicone style. I use GM Anaerobic red sealer on the case halves at 3 spots on the Corvair cases when I build Corvair engines.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”