Removal of Voltage Regulator, '66 Corsa

All Models and Years
rhscholz

Removal of Voltage Regulator, '66 Corsa

Post by rhscholz »

I need to replace the original voltage regulator on my '66 Corsa. What I thought was a 5 minute job is turning into a major problem : the removal of the three original screws and grommets with built-in nuts. I have been unable to get them off because the nuts seem to be stuck (rusted solid) to the screws.
The upper one is hidden behind the air intake panel, so I can't even reach the backside of the grommet.

Should I drill them out and replace with new screws/grommets ? Or should I just mount the new regulator on the right side of the original regulator ?
I am guessing the grommets were used for vibration isolation reasons, or is the regulator mounting body not supposed to make ground contact ?
terribleted

Re: Removal of Voltage Regulator, '66 Corsa

Post by terribleted »

Cutting is often the normal means of removal. Drilling does not usually work as the rubber isolated fasteners tend to spin. Replacement expansion fasteners are available from Corvair vendors and is the ideal way to mount the new regulator. I do not believe that case grounding the regulator causes an issue, but access to fasten with nuts and screws is very poor and it is a shame to drill new holes. I would temp fasten and order the proper expansion grommets.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
rhscholz

Post by rhscholz »

Ted, many thanks for your reply; I appreciate this. I was finally able to wiggle the grommets out the supporting structure, so now I can reuse the existing holes after ordering new grommets/screws from Clark's
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes the grommets are for noise/vibration isolation (the old regulators are electro mechanical). If you go with one of the new solid state regulators (recommended) the the grommets are not needed. YOU DO HAVE TO GROUND THE CASE. Sometimes a separate strap is supplied, sometimes there is a spring metal tab the wraps from the front to the back of the rubber grommet.

A missing, or poor contact, voltage regulator ground can cause some odd electrical problems that can take a while to find if you don't know what to look for.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”