Alternator brushes ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Alternator brushes ?

Post by acarlson »

Are alternator brushes generally available for our alternators at auto parts stores ? The ACDelco alternators (with a different pully and fan) were used on a lot of GM cars. I could get the brushes from Clarks but the shipping would cost me as much as the part. :eek: Autozone or O'Reilys would be preferable...

I'm just wondering what after-market brushes would work.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Re: Alternator brushes ?

Post by Jerry Whitt »

"Brushes" is a term technically in correct. Brushes are used in starters and generators. The correct term is "sliding contact " with alternators.
Yes the local parts stores have these available but many retail clerks will have no idea what you are talking about.

Find a store with some older guys behind the counter. Once you find that knowledgeable person , keep going to that person .

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Most auto stores just sell exchange alternators, but you can ask around

Ask for Delco model 10DN "Slip Ring Brush" - that's what Chevy called them. Sometimes they come as part of an assembly called the "Brush and Terminal Assembly".
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:link: http://parts-catalog.acdelco.com/catalo ... search.php

Alternator Brush Set
Part Number: D732
Product Notes:
Alternator Brush Set
All; Exc 62 Amp. Alternator
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1965-1968

Alternator Brush Set
Part Number: E731A
Product Notes:
Alternator Brush Holder
All; 55 or 60 Amp; All; 37 Amp
Per Vehicle: 1; Years: 1965-1969

Image :link: https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-D732-Pro ... B000C9VXOG
ACDelco D732 Professional Alternator Brush Set
Price: $15.75 Free Shipping for Prime Members

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=84

Part number C8176P: ALTERNATOR REBUILD KIT W/ PREMIUM BRG

Weight: 0 lbs 10 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84
Price: $ 25.25
Est. Shipping Cost $ 6.89
Grand Total $ 32.14

ImagePart number C616: ALTERNATOR BRUSH UNIT

Weight: 0 lbs 6 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84(20)
Price: $ 6.35
Est. Shipping Cost $ 6.89
Grand Total $ 13.24

NOTE: The above parts are small. If you need anything else from Clark's, such as oil filters, fan belts, other repair parts, etc. you can generally save significant shipping costs by combining all of your needs into a single order. No sales tax from most locations and combined shipping helps to offset shipping costs.

:link: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detai ... yword=d732
ACDelco - Brush, Generator
Part # D732
$13.99 Each

Alternator Brush Replacement.jpg
Attachments
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6Y - ENGINE ELECTRICAL.pdf
1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual - SECTION 6Y - ENGINE ELECTRICAL
(8.51 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 8:52 pm "Brushes" is a term technically incorrect. Brushes are used in starters and generators. The correct term is "sliding contact " with alternators.
Ahh, Jerry.. Back when I was rebuilding cars they were called "brushes". I've never heard the term "sliding contact" - that's a new one on me !
66vairguy wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 9:51 pm Ask for Delco model 10DN "Slip Ring Brush" - that's what Chevy called them. Sometimes they come as part of an assembly called the "Brush and Terminal Assembly".
Thanks 66vairguy - more descriptive terms for such a simple part !! :doh: But it makes it more likely someone will know what I'm talking about...
bbodie52 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 am Alternator Brush Set
Part Number: D732
Alternator Brush Set
Part Number: E731A
:woo: Part Numbers !!! Thanks Brad - that'll help my search.

The brushes (sic) are easy to replace - no sense buying an exchange for a simple repair.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

acarlson wrote:Wed May 31, 2017 7:22 pm

Are alternator brushes generally available for our alternators at auto parts stores ? The ACDelco alternators (with a different pully and fan) were used on a lot of GM cars. I could get the brushes from Clarks but the shipping would cost me as much as the part.
:think: :whoa:
Don't be too quick to rule out Clark's Corvair Parts. If you look through my previous post you will see that I list prices from sources that include Clark's, Amazon.com, and O'Reillys. If you factor in issues like local availability (O'Reillys website indicates that this part is listed but not available at my local store), sales-tax (generally added by O'Reillys and Amazon.com, but not Clark's) and shipping costs, Clark's begins to look pretty good with the lowest charge for the actual part. Even with shipping added they are comparable to or better than the other sources — especially if you have any other needs for your Corvair such as consumables like oil filters, tuneup items, etc., and you consolidate your shipment of all the things you need into a single bulk shipment, the price for shipping a small item like alternator brushes essentially disappears. With a price of only $6.35 for the part, Clark's is well below the prices from the other sources. And if you need other alternator parts such as diodes, bearings, etc. you will have a difficult time obtaining those at a local auto parts store, or through Amazon.com. But they are all available at Clark's! Clark's even offers alternator rebuild kits that are prepackaged with all the commonly needed items, and you can get it with or without the diode assemblies! How does that compete with your local auto parts store?

It is important for Corvair owners to realize and remember how important Corvair specialty sources like Clark's is to us. While some of the things that Clark's carries can also be found from sources like Amazon.com or a local auto parts store, those other sources have many many customers to support them. Providers like Clark's has only us. And they carry many things that you will never find at any other source. The cost for reproducing items and manufacturing things like upholstery components for the interior of your Corvair, and maintaining inventory can add up. Corvair owners are their only customer. If we do not support them… well… where would we turn to if sources like the Corvair specialty stores were no longer there? Suppliers like Clark's make Corvair ownership possible for people throughout the world. They are our only sources for many of the parts that we need. The shipping delays are not that significant and consolidated shipments can lower the total cost significantly. No sales-tax helps too! And while Clark's and the other Corvair specialty stores possess a great deal of Corvair-specific knowledge and expertise, most other vendors have probably never even heard of the Corvair, but instead rely on computer catalogs that are all too frequently inaccurate or incomplete. Please try to keep all of this in mind when you shop around for Corvair parts.

ImageImage
Clark's Corvair Parts
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi

CLARK'S CORVAIR PARTS TOUR — VIDEOS
:link: http://www.corvairforum.com/forum/viewt ... 108#p41108

Corvair 1 (Formerly Rafee Corvair)
:link: http://www.corvair1.com/

California Corvair Parts
:link: http://californiacorvairparts.com/

Corvair Ranch (New and Used Parts, Machine Shop, etc.)
:link: http://www.corvairranch.com/

CORVAIR UNDERGROUND Inc.
:link: http://corvairunderground.com/
Brad Bodie
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Brad, I understand your comments. Fact is, I just spent $3700 at Clarks and I've got another $800 to go. So, yes I do support Clarks. I have also purchased from Corvair Ranch. They've been very helpful as well. But, for the Clarks brush assembly, the part cost $6.35 and the shipping is $7.00. I don't mind paying it, but all I need is the brushes not the complete assembly or a rebuild kit. I may not be able to get just the brushes but it's worth looking IMHO. I could piggy-back the Clarks brush assembly on my $800 order, but I'm not a very patient guy. I won't need the transmission and diffy parts for a month or so and I need to get my alternator back together to finish my engine work.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The O'Reilly price still comes in at $13.99 and the Amazon.com price is even higher. Even with shipping added the Clark's price was only $13.24, and they don't add sales tax.

:clap: :not worthy:
Obviously you are a very good customer for Clark's Corvair Parts! My overall comments were not necessarily directed specifically at you, but also to many others who may read these Corvair Forum threads. I usually try to encourage all Corvair owners to try to support the Corvair vendors. The common impulse is to try to find the parts that are needed locally. I was hoping to discourage that impulse and point to good reasons to give the Corvair vendors as much business as possible.
Brad Bodie
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I think I found what I was looking for: http://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator- ... l?page=all

2 10DN brushes for less then a buck :tu: but they have a $10 minimum order :td:

Looks like I'm heading back to Clarks !! :65Coupe:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Thanks everyone for your feedback !! However, as I was looking at Clark's Alternator page again I realized that there was a part missing on my car that I should probably have installed. It is the alternator support bracket:
altbracket.jpg
altbracket.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
I guess a previous owner removed it for some reason. I would think the additional support on the alternator back end would keep the housing from cracking/breaking from the stress of the fan belt. Sigh... One more thing to order but - now the shipping for the brushes is a better deal. :tu:
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

acarlson wrote:Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:10 pm

I think I found what I was looking for: http://www.aspwholesale.com/alternator- ... l?page=all

2 10DN brushes for less then a buck :tu: but they have a $10 minimum order :td:

Looks like I'm heading back to Clarks !!
:65Coupe:
:dontknow: I dunno about that vendor you discovered. You must order a minimum of 2 per item, ultra-low prices, their search engine doesn't list "Corvairs" under VEHICLE MODEL, their VEHICLE YEAR possibilities only goes back to 1973, AND...
Welcome to Alaternator & Starter Parts Wholesale

We stock a complete line of parts for the fallowing alternator and starter manufacturers
Bosch - Delco - Denso - Ford - Hitachi - Leece-Neville - Lucas - Magneton - Mando - Mitsuba - Mitsubishi - Motorola - Paris-Rhone - Prestolite - Valeo
They botched the spelling of Alternator (Alaternator???) :rolling:

I'm not sure I would trust them with my credit card number or other personal information! :whoa: :sad5:

====================================================================================================================

Good catch about the missing alternator support bracket...
66vairguy wrote:Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:50 am

...Finally the old metal bar bracket that went from the rear of the 10DN to the head (engine shroud bolt) must be reformed to go from the 10SI to the head. Without that rear bracket it has been reported that the engine housing the alternator bolts to can BREAK! These housings are in short supply since many have bought them to convert generator cars (different housing) to alternator cars. You need to fabricate a rear brace!
Alternator vs Generator Adaptor.jpg
:link: http://mikescorvairparts.com/product_in ... cts_id=412
CORVAIR ALTERNATOR BRACKET 1965-69 USED $14.99

CORVAIR ALTERNATOR BRACKET 1965-69 USED. WORKS AS A BRACE TO HOLD ALTERNATOR IN PLACE ON ENGINE. IF YOU'RE CONVERTING FROM A GENERATOR TO AN ALTERNATOR ON AN EARLY, YOU'LL NEED ONE OF THESE.

Brad Bodie
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

"Brushes" look like the "slip ring brushes" mentioned, but do a job that is a little different. The commutator is made of many different sections, each section electrically isolated from the other sections. As the commutator rotates, the amperage flows through one section, building a magnetic field, which causes the armature to rotate slightly. As it moves, the next section is energized, the magnetic field again causes the armature to move and this continues to repeat. These sections act as switches, moving the amperage flow through the various segments. The segments are separated by a softer material, that when an armature is serviced, is cut away slightly. This surface is not very smooth, which in turn causes the brushes to wear rather quickly when compared to the smooth slip rings in an alternator.

In an alternator, the sliding contacts do not energize different sections of an armature. The alternator rotor has various fingers staged similar to putting the fingers of your left hand into the fingers of your right hand. As electricity flows through the (from the field wire) sliding contacts, each and every finger becomes magnetic. ^The stator (windings) is stationary, and as the fingers move past it, the magnetic field induces current flow. But as its name implies, the current goes 2 directions, therefore, one way valves called diodes are installed so only one direction of flow is allowed.

Net effect, people use what ever term they have at the tip of their tongue.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

While we're talking alternator parts, is there anything special about the condenser in the alternator or is it the same as is used on the ignition ?
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

They are both capacitors, but I don't know if there is a difference between the two. The one listed in the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog for the alternator is considerably cheaper than the one they sell for the distributor. But I don't know if they're interchangeable. In any case, you may not need the capacitor for the alternator. Like the one mounted on the side of the ignition coil, it's primary purpose is to suppress noise that might be heard on the car radio. If you hear a whining sound on the radio that varies with engine speed, the capacitor on the alternator may help.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=84
Part number C4359: ALTERNATOR CONDENSOR

Weight: 0 lbs 4 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 84(22)
Price: $ 3.50
Brad Bodie
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

You can tell if a capacitor is bad if its case is swollen beyond it's original size. Mine, I'm afraid, is puffed out almost beyond the back of the alternator.

I won't be listening to the radio since I have bluetooth and USB support but I would like to repair the problem. I have a spare ignition condenser in a box somewhere. I was just wondering if I could use that one in the alternator and be done with it..
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”