Alternator brushes ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

Re: Alternator brushes ?

Post by acarlson »

Ahh, never mind - I answered my own question - I took the old condenser out.
You can see how the end of the can is blown out.
IMG_0154.JPG
IMG_0154.JPG (162.78 KiB) Viewed 367 times
The condenser is pressed into the alternator housing and it has a skirt around the middle - I took it off but it is not something that is slipped on. The condenser has a groove around the mddle that the skirt fits in. The ignition condensers are not the same part so I'll be adding this item to my Clarks order (which just seems to keep getting bigger).

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Condensers absorb electrons and have different capacities. The fancy word for the capacity is "Micro Farad". The physical size is directly related to
capacity, as the inside is a long, thin sheet of aluminum foil, rolled up, with each side coated to keep them isolated. The higher capacity is in turn physically larger than a lower capacity. Do some research on the Forum, there are some pictures of condenser disassembled.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

The condenser does more than just prevent AM radio noise. It is a dynamic part of the circuit.

Same with the old external regulator - the condenser helps suppress arcing at the field regulation points to extend their operating life. The only condenser that was primarily used to suppress AM radio noise was the installed on the "+" side of the coil.

There is more to condensers than just the case size. Materials vary depending on use, such as in tolerating heat, peak voltage ratings, etc. They DO have a lifespan so you want to install the proper unit designed for long term operation in the alternator.

Here's a link http://store.alternatorparts.com/461100 ... ators.aspx
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

OK, what started out as a simple brush replacement has turned into an alternator rebuild. This wasn't my original plan, but the more I talked to you all and the more I looked at my alternator's guts, the more I realized I needed to do some major surgery. :doh:

Here my current parts list (from Clarks):
  • C2785 ALTERNATOR NEGATIVE DIODE (3)
  • C2784 ALTERNATOR POSITIVE DIODE (3)
  • C4359 ALTERNATOR CONDENSOR
  • C616 ALTERNATOR BRUSH UNIT
  • C4356 GASKET-ALTERNATOR BEARING
  • C1164R ALTERNATOR BRACKET
  • C4363 ALTERNATOR TOP BRACKET BOLT & WASHER
So, $50 bucks + shipping + an hour or so of my time and my alternator should be good-to-go for a long time.
"THANKS" to everyone for your comments -

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

Jerry Whitt wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:49 am Condensers absorb electrons and have different capacities. The fancy word for the capacity is "Micro Farad".
the fancy word for capacity is *farad*.

common in electronics are microfarad & picofarad........but nanofarad & millifarad are around also.

-Scott V.
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

If it were me I would get a new alternator!!!!!!! I find them under $50.00. Check around!!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”