Turbo compressor...

All Models and Years
acarlson

Turbo compressor...

Post by acarlson »

I decided today was a good day for me to start rebuilding my turbocharger. I ran into something curious.
SAM_0520s.jpg
Maybe the notches are stock ??? :dontknow: I don't think they were done to balance the wheel - too much material was removed. So, I'm throwing this out to the forum membership. Anyone have an opinion why there are notches in my compressor wheel ??? :eek:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
64powerglide

Re: Turbo compressor...

Post by 64powerglide »

I'm going with balance!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
corvairsince70

Post by corvairsince70 »

This was done by the manufacturer for balancing. This spins very fast.
toytron

Post by toytron »

Yes balancing. The RayJay (corvair) turbos were balanced as individual components and not as a unit. The newer style turbo are balanced as a unit.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

...and the consensus is "GM did it" !! :chevy:

I appreciate everyone's replies - it just seemed odd to me. :doh:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
corvairsince70

Post by corvairsince70 »

Turbochargers of the day for the Corvair were manufactured by Thompson.
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

Who is Thomson? Corvair turbos were made by trw/rajay.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

The attached Corvair turbocharger guides may provide you with useful information…
Attachments
Corvair Rajay Turbocharger Primer.pdf
Corvair Rajay Turbocharger Primer
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 57 times
Corvair Rajay Turbocharger - Primer II - Generational Differences.pdf
Corvair Rajay Turbocharger - Primer II - Generational Differences
(2.14 MiB) Downloaded 56 times
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
b74eqcm

Post by b74eqcm »

Thompson is the "T" in TRW.
Jim Thomas
Bethel, VT
63 Monza Coupe
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Brad, Thanks for those PDF's. That was educational !!! :clap:

On another note related to this topic, I finished the turbo rebuild this afternoon. I haven't put the housings on yet. I've run into a slight problem... How do you torque the compressor nut ?? There must be a trick to it - you can't hold the turbine wheel and get the nut to 80 inch lbs. Anyone have a trick for this ?? Miniman82 suggests just cranking down (no torque) but I'd like to tighten it to spec...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
toytron

Post by toytron »

There is a tool available for holding it. The pattern to make one is in one of the turbo how to manuals. I forget which one. Our you could buy it from Mike's corvair or Clark's.

Ed Stevenson

P.S. Miniman has done many turbos and he probably has the pattern to make the tool. I bought his CD on turbo rebuilding.
Last edited by toytron on Tue May 30, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

wrap a fan belt around the turbine - squeeze the belt - tighten the nut.

-Scott V.
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I wrap a rag around the turbine and hold it in my hand then torque the nut to 80 in. lbs without any problems.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

thewolfe wrote: Tue May 30, 2017 1:44 pm I wrap a rag around the turbine and hold it in my hand then torque the nut to 80 in. lbs without any problems.
Wow !! Seriously strong hands :not worthy: . I don't have the strength for that. I'll try the fan belt trick tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

CORVAIR RAJAY TURBO TURBINE TOOL..MAKES REBUILDING EASY! $89.99

CORVAIR RAJAY TURBO TURBINE TOOL..MAKES REBUILDING EASY! BRAND NEW TURBO TOOL THAT I just had made. I have rebuilt and disassembled hundreds of Corvair turbos, and this tool really makes the job easier. The manual tells you to hold the turbine with a rag while you torque the impeller nut. That is difficult to do as it wants to turn and cut your hand. I have been using a tool like this one for over 20 years, and this is the new and improved version. Just ask the Carbmeister and John Sweet. They both used this tool, and they told me that they don't know how they ever did rebuilds without it. I didn't invent this handy tool, as I had seen them being used in the turbo factory years ago. So, if they used this to make new turbos, it is a good idea.

:link: http://mikescorvairparts.com/product_in ... cts_id=815

:think: :idea: I wonder if a common strap wrench would be suitable substitute?

===========================================================================================================================
TRW’s roots were founded in 1901, and it lasted for more than a century until being acquired by Northrop Grumman in 2002. It helped create a variety of corporations, including Thompson Ramo Wooldridge (source of TRW acronym).

TRW originated in 1901 with the Cleveland Cap Screw Company, founded by David Kurtz and four other Cleveland residents. Their initial products were bolts with heads electrically welded to the shafts. In 1904, a welder named Charles E. Thompson adapted their process to making automobile engine valves, and, by 1915, the company was the largest valve producer in the United States. Charles Thompson was named general manager of the company, which became Thompson Products in 1926. Their experimental hollow sodium-cooled valves aided Charles Lindbergh's solo flight across the Atlantic.

During the period leading up to World War II, through the end of the Korean war, Thompson Products was a key manufacturer of component parts for aircraft engines, including aircraft valves. The TAPCO plant, owned by the US government but operated by Thompson Products, extended for almost a mile along Cleveland's Euclid Avenue. It employed over 16,000 workers at the peak of WW II production. As jet aircraft replaced piston engined aircraft, Thompson Products became a major manufacturer of turbine blades for jet engines.

With continued backing from Thompson Products, Ramo-Wooldridge diversified into computers and electronic components, founding Pacific Semiconductors in 1954. They also produced scientific spacecraft such as Pioneer 1. Thompson Products and Ramo-Wooldridge merged in October 1958 to form Thompson Ramo Wooldridge Inc., unofficially known as "TRW". In February 1959, Jimmy Doolittle became Chairman of the Board of Space Technology Laboratories (STL), the division which continued to support the Air Force ICBM efforts.

Thompson Ramo Wooldridge officially became TRW Inc. in July 1965.

In February 2002 Northrop Grumman launched a $5.9 billion hostile bid for TRW. A bidding war between Northrop Grumman, BAE Systems and General Dynamics ended on July 1, 2002 when Northrop's increased bid of $7.8 billion was accepted. Soon afterward, the automotive assets of LucasVarity and TRW's own automotive group were sold to The Blackstone Group as TRW Automotive.

The Corvair’s turbo was built by TRW
:link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRW_Inc.
:link: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/curbside ... rted-here/

============================================================================================================================

:link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEHiZ4P4_NU
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Thanks Brad ! I'm guessing that the notches in Mikes tool slip over the turbo vanes and lock the turbo wheel in place while you tighten the compressor nut. I hate to buy a speciality tool like that - how many turbo rebuilds am I going to do in my lifetime ???

You read my mind about the strap wrench - nice suggestion. I've added it to my list of suggested solutions.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”