Wideband O2 Sensor Kit recommendation

All Models and Years
AZScott

Wideband O2 Sensor Kit recommendation

Post by AZScott »

I am looking to pick up a Wideband O2 sensor kit for my Spyder. The price point appears to be around $150 for some of the ones I have been looking at. I have heard the Innovate mtx-L is a good one. I would like to pick one up now so I can make the necessary mods to the exhaust for the sensor before I put everthing back in the car. Which unit do members recommend? And, do the kits come with enough leads for the gauge so it can be mounted to the front dash? Not sure this is a problem, or it just intails splicing in additional wire to the leads.
Appreciate any recommendations. Thanks
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
firstgencamarojunkie

Re: Wideband O2 Sensor Kit recommendation

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

I got this one from Autometer: Part # 4379

and

This wiring harness which is longer: AutoMeter 5252 Wide Band Wire Harness
notched

Post by notched »

I run an Innovate LC-2 with a digital gauge. Has worked well for me.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I'm seriously considering this one: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-4110/

I especially like the fact that I can wire up an RS232 connection and hook the sensor up to my laptop and record the O2 readings. I can then run the historic data through an excel spreadsheet to analyze it or even write special software to make notations in the recordings in real time. All kinds of neat stuff is possible once you get it onto a computer... :tu:

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

i use a lc-2 & it works great.

the lc-2 & the mtx-L have a programmable voltage output so you can datalog to anything. innovate has a nice datalog software for their stuff - download is free.

@ acarlson.
dont know how the aem is handling rs232........thats kind of a dead format now........all laptops are usb.

-Scott V.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Scott V wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 5:46 pm i use a lc-2 & it works great.
@ acarlson.
dont know how the aem is handling rs232........thats kind of a dead format now........all laptops are usb.

-Scott V.
The gauge has a single output line that is wired to the RCV pin of a RS232 connector. You just connect ground to the ground pin and you get an RS232 receive signal. Yes most modern computers use USB but you just need a USB->serial cable and you're good-to-go. The USB port just becomes a serial input port which can be opened by any terminal application. I'm guessing the other gauges have the same setup since adding a USB chip and connector would make the gauge more expensive.
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
notched

Post by notched »

You can data log with a laptop or tablet with the LC-2 and they are designed for USB. No need for converting.
Older stuff was serial and needed the DB9 serial plug and it is now old technology.
All of the older stand alone EFI systems used DB9 serial and require conversions to USB that get funky and do not always work properly
Been down that road with the FAST systems, Accel Gen 7. I have since purchased a Dell D830 lap top that has a DB9 serial on it and I use that specifically for car related things.
Buy what you want. I know the Innovate works well for me. Scott is using it as well. They have been the industry standard in wide bands for over 10 years now.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

acarlson wrote: Fri May 26, 2017 6:55 pm Yes most modern computers use USB but you just need a USB->serial cable and you're good-to-go. The USB port just becomes a serial input port which can be opened by any terminal application.
not sure how that all works...........using a usb cable wired to a db9 rs232 cable . rs232 is 12v & usb is 5v. maybe they are running the rs232 in ttl mode? that would put it @ 5v

the 9pin serial ->usb converters like notched talked about.........they use a usb->uart converter chip......like the ftdi232.......molded in the cable to make it all work.

when you get your aem wbO2 going & datalog to your laptop......lets us know how it works. be interesting to hear how it does for you.

-Scott V.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I looked at the Innovate LC-2 on Summit and I didn't see that it had a USB port. It does come with a separate RS232 cable though. Maybe that's an older picture and parts list... :dontknow: Also, the LC-2 looks like it doesn't include a gauge whereas the AEM has a gauge included. The MTX-L also doesn't have a USB port - they suggest getting a USB->Serial adaptor (it does include a gauge however :tu:). I do like that fact that it comes with software - I'll have to add this kit to my short-list.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
notched

Post by notched »

I wouldn't buy from Summit. Look on Ebay. Complete LC-2 kits with gauge and sensor $159.99 with free shipping http://www.ebay.com/itm/Innovate-LC2-Wi ... 0m&vxp=mtr
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Would you need to add a cross over pipe to a 140 motor to get a combined reading or a unit that has a provision for a second sensor and readout.
Thanks,
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Where did you install the sensor bung - on the input pipe to the turbo or the outlet pipe to the muffler ? A picture would be helpful...
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

acarlson wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 am I looked at the Innovate LC-2 on Summit and I didn't see that it had a USB port. It does come with a separate RS232 cable though.
the 9 pin cable that comes w/the lc-2 is used for datalog & programming the lc-2. if you dont have an older computer w/a 9 pin serial port youll need a serial->usb converter.
acarlson wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 4:03 amAlso, the LC-2 looks like it doesn't include a gauge. The MTX-L also doesn't have a USB port - they suggest getting a USB->Serial adaptor.
you can get the lc2 w/a gauge. innovate has a bunch of different gauges. the mtx-l works the same as the lc-2.......has the same 9 pin cable.......so youll need a USB->Serial adaptor if you dont have a serial port on your computer.

put the the sensor bung on the outlet pipe to the muffler. it needs to be @ least 2' away from the turbo. make sure the sensor isnt pointed *down*

@ gnrand........you could add add a cross over pipe to a 140 motor to get a combined reading.......if you want.

some units have provisions for a 2nd sensor. neat thing about the innovate stuff is you can connect a bunch of units together. innovate has data chain software built in their stuff. plx has something like that also.

w/dual exhaust its prob a bunch ez-er just to put a sensor bung on each pipe. run the car w/the sensor in 1 pipe & make your changes. move the sensor in the other pipe & see if 1 side is running a lot different than the other. make the changes to your carb linkage or jets to get both sides where you want.

-Scott V.
notched

Post by notched »

IMG_2698.JPG
This is where the sensor is on my turbo.
Attachments
IMG_8449.JPG
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
notched

Post by notched »

If you HAVE to have dual exhaust and a reading for each bank then FAST is probably the only game out there with this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAST-170402-Air ... 4u&vxp=mtr
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

the fast dual o2 is a good unit.

if you want something smaller - with a standard 52mm gauge.......the innovate dlg-1 is real nice.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/dlg1.php
-Scott V.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”