Wideband O2 Sensor Kit recommendation

All Models and Years
notched

Re: Wideband O2 Sensor Kit recommendation

Post by notched »

Scott V wrote: Sat May 27, 2017 12:02 pm the fast dual o2 is a good unit.

if you want something smaller - with a standard 52mm gauge.......the innovate dlg-1 is real nice.
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/dlg1.php
-Scott V.
I hadn't even seen that. That's nice! Shame I don't have any cars I am tuning on that need a dual channel wide band.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks for all the comments. A question I still have is, for a Corvair application where the gauge is mounted in the dash, how have others been able to get a cable long enough to reach? I have read in other forums where shielded cables have been spliced into to make them longer. Not sure I want to potentially affect the accuracy of the gauge by splicing. In checking the various manufacturers’ web sites I can see only two with long enough extension cables, 1) 18’ cable (PN# 3828-IM) for only the MTX-L , and 2) Autometer Part # 4379 and 25’ extension #5252. My rough estimate is that I will need something at least 15’ long to make this run easily. Are others using these expensive extension cables or are you splicing?
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
notched

Post by notched »

AZScott wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 7:06 am Thanks for all the comments. A question I still have is, for a Corvair application where the gauge is mounted in the dash, how have others been able to get a cable long enough to reach? I have read in other forums where shielded cables have been spliced into to make them longer. Not sure I want to potentially affect the accuracy of the gauge by splicing. In checking the various manufacturers’ web sites I can see only two with long enough extension cables, 1) 18’ cable (PN# 3828-IM) for only the MTX-L , and 2) Autometer Part # 4379 and 25’ extension #5252. My rough estimate is that I will need something at least 15’ long to make this run easily. Are others using these expensive extension cables or are you splicing?
That isn't a problem with the Innovate as the actual control is kept close to the sensor. I have mine in the engine compartment. The gauge just uses wires from the control unit and they do not affect the accuracy as the measurements are done in the control unit. I have the gauge under the center of the dash in my Corsa along with Dakota Digital vacuum/boost and oil temp gauges.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
firstgencamarojunkie

Post by firstgencamarojunkie »

For the autometer unit you can purchase a longer cable designed for rear engine cars: This wiring harness which is longer: AutoMeter 5252 Wide Band Wire Harness
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

I downloaded the MTX-L install instructions and I don't see where the gauge has wires running to a control unit. It looks like a custom cable from the sensor to the gauge.

See: https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... n-3844.pdf

The wiring instructions show a sensor cable running from the sensor to the gauge. I think that is the cable that ACScott is asking about...

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
notched

Post by notched »

acarlson wrote: Mon May 29, 2017 12:46 pm I downloaded the MTX-L install instructions and I don't see where the gauge has wires running to a control unit. It looks like a custom cable from the sensor to the gauge.

See: https://static.summitracing.com/global/ ... n-3844.pdf

The wiring instructions show a sensor cable running from the sensor to the gauge. I think that is the cable that ACScott is asking about...

Alec
I am not sure where the MTX-L came into play. We were talking about the LC-1 and LC-2 series earlier in this thread. What I had was the LC series. There is a short harness cable that comes out the other side of the control. It does not run all the way up front and does not need to.

The sensor control unit itself is wired like this:
Red = switch 12 volts
Blue= ground (same source as white wire)
White = ground (same source as blue wire)
Black = (this is the calibration wire) Anode side of LED and switched side of calibration momentary switch
Yellow (Analog out 1) = to gauge or data logger
Brown (Analog out 2) = to gauge or data logger

The momentary push button switch has the other side going to ground together with the Kathode side of the LED.

The gauge wiring is wired like this:
Red = switch 12 volts
Black = ground (to engine block preferred)
White = to Brown Analog out wire
Yellow: to head light power for gauge dimming

Depending on which model you have there could be some color differences in wires and/or wiring of the gauge to a different Analog out.
But the fact remains that there should only be 1 wire running up to the gauge (the Analog out wire) and an additional wire if you are grounding directly to the engine block.
Again, no need for a super long cable. The calculations are done in the sensor control unit that is kept in the engine compartment.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Looking at Innovate’s web page I can see both products listed, LC-2, and MTX-L Plus. It appears they have maybe the same function, and the MTX-L is the new one, and is listed as that. Advantages are stated for the MTX-L on the web page as “our fastest, most durable and accurate air/fuel ratio gauge ever.” I am guessing the MTX-L would need the expensive longer sensor cable, and the LC-2 could be spliced. It’s not easy to do a comparison based on what is in the web page so I will try and contact them by phone. If others have done this research I would be interested in their thoughts. In the mean time I ordered a bung and plug so at least I can make the modification to my Exhaust. I need to weigh and understand the difference in cost/function of these units before I purchase.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Scott V

Post by Scott V »

mtx-l & the lc-2 use the same electronics.

the mtx-l is a sensor/gauge package. all the electronics are in the gauge. the sensor plugs into the gauge & uses a special connector.
the lc-2 is a sensor w/the electronics in a box. add the gauge you want..........innovate has lots of different gauges.

w/the lc-2 you add the gauge you want & this is where you put the extension............since is it just a regular wire........no connector.

the sensor cables are the same mtx-l & the lc-2.........like the mtx-l connector is the same as the connector on the lc-2. like this.......you can use any innovate cable......they have 18ft ones if you need something that long.

-Scott V.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”