64 turbo fuel gauge not working

All Models and Years
snowmaker

64 turbo fuel gauge not working

Post by snowmaker »

Installed new tank and Gage checked function of Gage before installed worked fine then installed and now does not move off E and tank is full. Checked ground wire as that is all I can think it might be any help greatly appreciated.
terribleted

Re: 64 turbo fuel gauge not working

Post by terribleted »

make sure both wires are connected to the sending unit (I am sure you have already, but double check good connections anyway). Next drain the fuel and remove the sending unit from the tank and find out what is wrong with it. You can operate the sending unit out of the tank and it will operate the gauge (if it is wired anyway). You say the gauge worked before tank install so tis most likely that some installation error or new issue with the function of the sending unit is at fault. There are checkout steps for the sending unit and gauge in the Shop manual if the gauge does not function when manually operating the sending unit. Hopefully something is simply stuck. (make sure the sending unit float is not full of fuel as well a leaking float will make gauge read empty all the time as it will not float)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
snowmaker

Post by snowmaker »

Thanks for the response. I was hoping on avoiding the draining the fuel tank end of this problem . Most likely I got something out of wack when I put sending unit in I know that I had put the new tank in and then installed the sending unit into the tank & I had checked the sending unit before I installed it in the tank. Oh well at least I can enjoy driving the gas out of the tank first so I don't have to much fuel left to drain. Thanks again
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

You can do a portion of the shop manual resistance and continuity checks for the fuel gauge with the sender in the car. Try those first.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
snowmaker

Post by snowmaker »

Thanks I will try that first.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”