Water/Meth Injection...

All Models and Years
acarlson

Water/Meth Injection...

Unread post by acarlson » Wed May 17, 2017 4:04 pm

As an exercise while I am waiting for my crank and head work to be completed, I am designing an injection system for my turbo. I'm needing some opinions on a couple of things.

1. Where to put the injector ? Only 2 places really - before the carb throttle body or on the intake crossover tube. I'd have to fabricate something on the carb side but I'm looking at something like this for the crossover: https://prometh.com/products/copy-of-mi ... 7154401475 - this would replace the turbo outlet hose.

2. I'm considering a 3 psi pressure switch with a 1.5 psi dead band. The injector would trigger at a 3 psi boost and continue running as long as the boost was above 1.5 psi. Is 3 psi too high a starting point ? I could go with a 2 psi set point and a 0 psi dead band. I think I could run below 2 psi boost without detonation problems.

Let me know your thoughts on this -

Alec
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible

notched

Re: Water/Meth Injection...

Unread post by notched » Wed May 17, 2017 7:44 pm

I have my nozzle on the discharge of the turbocharger right before the inlet to the crossover. I found the best atomization there.
Mine uses a Snow controller. I adjust the turn on point to be right before the point where I would typically experience pinging. During this I monitor the air fuel ratio. Once I am confident I am safe as far as fuel I will try bumping the timing a little at a time.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by thewolfe » Thu May 18, 2017 9:10 am

My nozzle is also at the turbo outlet. Using a coolingmist pump and solenoid valve, devils own nozzle, and Nason switch set to come on around 7 psi. There's no need to turn your water on at 3 unless you're having detonation issues there in which case you have other problems because it shouldn't be pinging at that low boost. Are you planning on putting on a bigger carb? If not then water injection is probably a waste of money.
Nate Wolfe
65 corsa 180

acarlson

Unread post by acarlson » Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

Initially I'm going to run the Carter and see how it performs. The turbo has never worked (DOA when I bought the Corsa) - so I don't know what the max boost is for a stock engine. I thought it was 5 but if your set point is 7 I'll have to rethink my setting it to 3. I'm using a Snows switch - other parts are TBD.
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible

thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Unread post by thewolfe » Thu May 18, 2017 10:49 am

When I was completely stock(minus upgraded pistons), 8 psi was about the max I saw. Switching to a 64 exhaust turbine and housing got me around 10. Putting a weber dcoe40 and heavily modified 95 hp heads in got me 20+ and a bunch of pinging which is dangerous. I installed the water injection before putting on the weber then promptly added a waste gate after seeing how difficult it was to regulate the boost with my right foot.
Last edited by thewolfe on Thu May 18, 2017 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate Wolfe
65 corsa 180

notched

Unread post by notched » Thu May 18, 2017 11:59 am

I had the YH and was seeing 11-12 psi with the F flow/B flow turbine. But also have 140 exhaust tubes, manifolds and oversized exhaust as well as a straight through muffler.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National

AZScott

Unread post by AZScott » Mon May 22, 2017 6:29 pm

Interesting posts guys. I too have a turbo in the build phase. I have larger full fin (Auto Bohn 3 5/8”) barrels, a Otto 20 cam, and hopped up turbo, but staying with the Carter YH carb for now. I am wondering what compression ratio you are running? I am thinking I need to be at 8 to 1. I am a little scared about running modern 91 octane premium in my setup. Like I said, still in the planning/building phase but instead of a waistgate or water injection, was thinking of a MSD 6BTM spark control box. Would be curious as to your thoughts.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”