Cylinder Head Temp Gauge - 66 Corsa

All Models and Years
66vairguy

Re: Cylinder Head Temp Gauge - 66 Corsa

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad it all worked out.

The gauges are "damped" or put another way the needle armature binds a little. This prevents needle bounce due to car vibrations and with the fuel gauge it keeps the float bouncing in the fuel tank from causing the needle to swing.

Sometimes the gauges loose damping due to wear and it's possible for one to be too slow due to excess binding - not sure how to fix that other than removing the gauge and gently exercising needle to loosen it up. The other issue is some cars get a lot of water in them causing the instruments to corrode. Used spares are available.
gcjacobs

Post by gcjacobs »

Thanks for all the help. Just to close this out, I did get out on the highway and warmed it up. It is as you said, and the needle sticks. I am guessing a dash pull is in my future, but for now a simple tap seems to do the trick
Greg J
Rochester Hills, Michigan
1965 Corsa Convertible
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

gcjacobs wrote:Thanks for all the help. Just to close this out, I did get out on the highway and warmed it up. It is as you said, and the needle sticks. I am guessing a dash pull is in my future, but for now a simple tap seems to do the trick

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock
skipvair

Post by skipvair »

If u have to pull dash, it is a little intimidating. But i did it changed all gauges and reinstalled the cluster in less than 7 hours this past weekend. All is good now.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Frank Metasavage

65 Corsa 140 4 speed with Weber IDAs
66 Corsa 140 4 speed Stock

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”