67 Won't Idle

All Models and Years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 67 Won't Idle

Post by bbodie52 »

Connecting the existing PCV system to an aftermarket air cleaner product is not a new or unique problem. My approach back in 1982 was to fit a commercially produced adapter to one of my custom air cleaners on my 1965 Corsa 140 hp engine. One side only was adequate.

Mr. Gasket PCV Air Cleaner Smog Fitting
:link: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mrg- ... gQodpLEOZg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
toytron

Post by toytron »

Hey as far as Bob's book is concerned, he has them and I just picked one up from him. He was listing a deal on the other forum where you could buy some or all of his other books too. The two on carbs are fantastic.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

toytron wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 11:21 pm Hey as far as Bob's book is concerned, he has them and I just picked one up from him. He was listing a deal on the other forum where you could buy some or all of his other books too. The two on carbs are fantastic.

Ed Stevenson
Great! I'll check it out!
bbodie52 wrote: Sun May 14, 2017 10:23 pm Connecting the existing PCV system to an aftermarket air cleaner product is not a new or unique problem. My approach back in 1982 was to fit a commercially produced adapter to one of my custom air cleaners on my 1965 Corsa 140 hp engine. One side only was adequate.
from looking around this is what I was leaning towards actually, the only benefit that I see with doing the risers is that right now my right secondary linkage does hit the filter if its not positioned just right.

Also theres no need to have the lines run to both carbs? seems like it could cause some issues only going into one half of the engine. Although even having it hooked up is better than what I have.

If I where to make the risers I'd probably do something like this
http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/41962/10002/-1
And Weld some bungs on the primaries tubes
http://www.jegs.com/i/Vibrant-Performan ... 3/10002/-1
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

God.favored wrote:Also there's no need to have the lines run to both carbs? seems like it could cause some issues only going into one half of the engine. Although even having it hooked up is better than what I have.
Engine Compartment of our 1965 Corvair Corsa coupe, Summer 1981

I believe that the primary work done by the stock PCV system is accomplished via the vacuum hose that is connected to the fixed orifice on the PCV tube. This is already connected to the vacuum balance tube that branches out to both sides of the engine. The other part of the system — the part that connects to the air cleaner system — simply allows the crankcase to draw in filtered fresh air through the air cleaner. In addition, excess crankcase fumes are vented into the air cleaner and drawn through the carburetor throat, to pass through the combustion chambers, where the fumes are re-burned before exiting the exhaust system. The quantity of fumes that exit the PCV system at this point are usually minimal, and are unlikely to overwhelm the engine intake — even if it is only connected to one side. I doubt that there is anything to be gained by adding additional plumbing to connect this tube to both (Primary carburetor) air cleaners.

By the way, I am aware of the unsafe fuel line layout that I installed in this Corvair back in the 1980s. A faulty fan belt could have easily ripped through the fuel line hoses and potentially caused an engine fire! I would not do it again!!

Your configuration with an oil pressure gauge sending unit extending upward to the right of the alternator can also be a proven hazard. I know, because I had a similar configuration on my Corvair in Germany. I had used some brass extension tubes to raise the bulky oil pressure gauge sending unit to an elevation that cleared the tight space where the oil pressure warning light switch had originally been installed. I was driving my Corvair on the autobahn one night when I was suddenly presented with an oil pressure warning light. I immediately shut the engine down and coasted to the side of the road. When I opened the rear deck to examine my engine I found it covered with oil — and a broken fan belt. Apparently, when the fan belt let loose it wrapped itself around the oil pressure gauge sending unit and snapped it right off — which of course then spewed hot engine oil all over the engine compartment! Fuel line hoses and oil pressure gauges that extend up into the fan belt danger zone never seem to cause any problems until the belt breaks! But then it can create an oily mess or even engine fire! Clark's Corvair Parts sells a special bolt for mounting the oil filter that is hollow and allows an oil pressure or oil temperature sending unit to be attached at the top of the oil filter mount. You may find that relocating your oil pressure gauge sending units and leaving the warning switch only next to the alternator to be a better way. (See the adapt-a-bolt listing below).

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=27D

Your photograph introduced another possible problem that I noticed…
Question = Is this a Harmonic Balancer.jpg
Although the picture wasn't that clear, it appears that your engine has been fitted with a standard cast pulley that was only appropriate for the low horsepower (95 hp) engine. All other 164 CI engines that were produced in 1964 and later were supposed to be fitted with a harmonic balancer to protect the long stroke crankshaft from developing stress fractures and cracks. These three-piece harmonic balancers do wear out over time, as the rubber component deteriorates and permits the outer ring to loosen. The failing harmonic balancer will eventually come apart. Since they are somewhat expensive to replace some owners opt to install a solid pulley in place of the harmonic balancer. I have to assume that the engineers at Chevrolet did not add the harmonic balancer for its good looks. If they felt that the long stroke crankshaft was subject to harmonic damage in the course of operation, we should probably assume that they were right. This would be even more true as these engines exceed 50 years in age!

I would recommend that you consider replacing the stock pulley with a new harmonic balancer. Used harmonic balancers may be false economy because you have no way to gauge how much life is left in the used component. The Clark's Corvair Parts listing below identifies their replacement harmonic balancer. The video shows the procedure for replacing the existing pulley with a harmonic balancer…

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... ge=OTTO-23

Brad Bodie
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Ok, pcv info makes sense. I'll rig it up.

As far as the harmonic balancer goes, that makes sense too. I probably have one in my tubs of parts from other engines, but I'll look into a new one too. Like I said I just kind of pulled this motor and put it right on in my car. Thanks for catching it!
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

still waiting on some parts to ship in for the pcv line, but I'm just going to go ahead and try to get it running and idling right with what I have tomorrow. Ill let ya all know how it goes :) if I can get it running well enough theres a local meetup for all car enthusiasts I may go check out. mostly ricers and new cars, but theres a few old ones that show up. Definitely no Corvairs :)
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

Took care of all the vacuum line issues, Got the car idling pretty decent thank you everyone!! :) verified the timing at the proper idle. Was just a bit low. Set it as close to 18* as I could. But now there's a pretty significant throttle lag for power when you stomp down on it under load. Bogs down slightly for a second or two then it starts to pull. I checked the distributor number and it's says delco rem 1110370. I see a 371 on the chart but not a 370. Think I just still need to adjust a bit better or could this be distributor related?
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
dave t

Post by dave t »

I used a short angled extension to make my oil pressure sender fit. I also used a VDO combo sender/switch so can feed my gauge but still have my idiot light.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

dave t

Post by dave t »

1495315443480.jpg
1495315437569.jpg

dave t

Post by dave t »

1495315480258.jpg

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

dave t wrote:Sat May 20, 2017 4:23 pm

I used a short angled extension to make my oil pressure sender fit. I also used a VDO combo sender/switch so can feed my gauge but still have my idiot light.
Looks great! :clap: :tu:
Stevie Wonder - Uptight (Everything's Alright)

Baby, everything is all right, uptight, out of sight.
Baby, everything is all right, uptight, out of sight...
...She says baby everything is alright, uptight, clean out of sight.
Baby, everything is alright, uptight, way out of sight.

:cool: ::-):
Please excuse, but your installation brought these words to mind! ...must be my age. :oldtimer:

Released in November 1965, and a notable success, "Uptight (Everything's Alright)" peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Pop Singles chart in early 1966, at the same time reaching the top of the Billboard R&B Singles chart for five weeks. Billboard ranked it as the 59th biggest American hit of 1966 (they weren't considering Corvairs, but they should have!)
Brad Bodie
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

GUYS!!! I'm an IDIOT!!! well maybe not an idiot but inexperienced. Drove the car over to my dad's today and was having him take a look at it. Swapped the plugs just because, then double checked spark and it was practically non-existent, very very weak. So my dad pulled the cap of the distributor and pulled the points out. They where all pitted, sanded the points and reset the gap and BAM!!! started up great and runs like it never has! every corvair i've had has already had the Pertronix electronic ignition on it, and I've never had to mess with points on my other older cars. Now its got the vacuum lines straightened out and the carburetors adjusted and synced properly, runs like a champ.

Thank you all so much for all the help! Just need to rebuild the starter for it and honestly I'd feel pretty comfortable driving it around without fear of being stranded.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

:clap: :not worthy: :tu: Glad to hear it!!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
God.favored

Post by God.favored »

dave t wrote: Sat May 20, 2017 2:24 pm 20170520_141704.jpg20170520_141723.jpg

Where did you get your angle adapter? I like the setup! And I really like the idea of the dual unit, I think I may try and find one of those.
1967 140 4 Speed
1963 Monza 900 Spyder
dave t

Post by dave t »

Sorry, but I found the angle adapter in a box of stuff i got. I don't know where to find one but I have seen them around
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Maybe something like this would work...

:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ow+Fitting

Needed Thread Size: 1/4-18 NPT

Lead Free Brass Pipe Fitting, 45 Degree Street Elbow, 1/4" NPT Male X Female
:link: https://www.amazon.com/Brass-Fitting-De ... B003TWP2V8

:link: https://www.shopcross.com/product/parke ... male-brass
PARKER FLUID CONNECTORS
Parker 2214P-4-4 Street Elbow 45 Deg 1/4 Female X 1/4 Male Brass
List price:$9.29
Price:$3.53

The adapter he originally used was a little taller, so the adapters shown above might be too short. Adding an adapter like the one below to the mix might solve the plumbing/clearance problem...

Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”