lower cylinder air baffels

All Models and Years
dick2256

lower cylinder air baffels

Post by dick2256 »

didn't I read someplace on here about cutting air baffles so you can install them with out removing the
oil return tubes
I forgot to install one and am looking for a way out
terribleted

Re: lower cylinder air baffels

Post by terribleted »

You installed the tubes and torqued the head and looked back and there is the baffle on the bench:( I have done that...more than once I am sorry to say:) I do not think cutting the baffles will do much for you. I would just bite the bullet, loosen the head, removed the push tubes and re-assemble.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I got the engine back together and it seems to be running ok but how should I break it in
also the engine appeared to be running to rich as all of the plugs were carbon black
I am running a Rochester carburetor 2gc with a tube going to each intake manifold and it has 2 idle jet screws
does one jet screw supply one intake and one supply the other one?
I need to screw them in until I get the most rpms is that correct?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I have never fooled with a center 2 or 4 barrel carb setup. I would assume that if the plugs are black it is either rich or under-timed. Most carb idle screws can be adjusted by turning in until there is a slight rpm decrease and then bumping them out just until the decrease is gone (this assumes that proper idle rpm is already set before hand). (I recall old instructions saying turn in until RPM drops and back out 1/4-1/2 turn.) I am not familiar with your 2 barrel. Maybe the 2 mixture screws are adjusted evenly maybe not? The cross tube intake is not separated into right and left sides in the center (at least I don't believe that it is...most are not) so any adjustment to the carb would effect both sides.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

I think I am ok I adjusted and it starts easy
sure do hope the valve adjustments ok and that is without the propeller will have my boy listen and see what he thinks tomorrow I am tired of the oil spitting on me
was very hot here very closed to 100 %
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Only around 90 here today but warmer tomorrow.

dick2256

Post by dick2256 »

we been having to much rain to get the boat in the water but it sounds very strong and starts very easy even after running a long idle
I ne3ver ran any more compression checks but don't think I need to.
thanks for all of the help
Dick

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”