What is that noise?

All Models and Years
KiltedPhoenix

What is that noise?

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

I recently built a dual exhaust, complete with crossover pipe, I got stupid along the way and didn't put hangers on the 2" glasspacks. Yesterday on my way to work 1/2 my exhaust fell off. I fixed and improved it, added hangers. Yesterday, while on my way home from work a horrendous noise started, at the time I thought it was the other 1/2 lose and hitting the body. This morning, when I left for work, same noise. It starts at about 16 mph, and gets worse with speed. Not engine speed related as I put it in neutral and was coasting and no change in noise. I can't attach video here but the best description I can give is a bag of rocks in a washing machine. Also, no change in noise with cornering it braking. Aside from the noise, performance, driveability, handling, braking, not affected. '63, 80 HP, PG.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: What is that noise?

Post by bbodie52 »

I went back and looked at your previous posts to learn more about your Corvair...
KiltedPhoenix wrote:Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm

Allow me to introduce myself, my name is Wiley Coy- LOL no, no its not, just Eric and not very wiley. I probably have not interacted with any of you unless it was over at FB.

Background: I saw my first corvair 30 years ago when i was 12. I finally bought one, this past November. Penny, my 63 700 sedan. She's rokin the 80HP + PG combo. The top side is very "patina" which I just see as a fancy hipster word for rust. This will be dealt with severely this spring. Penny is my daily driver. I am a man of very low to no budget, but I have 2 parts cars, a 63 monza 900 convertible and a 64 Spyder, so, I have options for both repairs and upgrades. I'm very DIY, I hate the thought of paying someone to touch my car so intimately. I'm a maverick, I dont adhere to the normal rules of classic cars. I'm also a recovering engineer so I learn pretty quickly on the technical front. There is lots I dont know, I will freely admit that. Expect questions that some of you more seasoned 'vair guys might take as common knowledge. My repairs/upgrades usually go the way my gas heater saga went, I just roll with it and claim that I learned something from it.

I hope to have many many more years with my Penny.

Happy Journeys

Eric & Penny.
It sounds like you need to put the rear of your car up on jack stands to try to locate the source of your noise. Since putting the automatic transmission in NEUTRAL and varying the engine speed while you coast does not change the sound, it would seem like it may be related to the rear axles (universal joints or wheel bearings — which are often neglected until they disintegrate) or it could be an internal failure of the differential that is self-destructing but has not totally failed yet. If you can make it happen in DRIVE with the wheels off of the ground, your hearing may help you to zero in on the source (an automotive stethoscope might help). A physical examination of your suspension components with the car elevated might reveal something.

Does the nature of the sound change as you are turning a corner?

If it turns out to be axle or wheel bearing related, either one of your parts cars might help. Is the '63 Monza parts car fitted with a Powerglide? If so a differential swap may be possible if your differential is failing.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

That crossover pipe close enough to hit anything?? I have the same mufflers without a crossover. Got them off right now but I know the original is close to the bell housing. Does the noise stop when you slow down under 16 MPH, how about turning the engine off in neutral at 35 - 40 MPH, noise still there? :dontknow:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
KiltedPhoenix

Post by KiltedPhoenix »

Noise happens with engine off, while coasting in neutral. I've put it up on jacaranda. I've put it in Drive and no noise, I then compressed rear suspension to simulate being on the road. I've narrowed it down to the inboard side of the left axle but not with suspension hanging. U joint? No the 63 and 64 parts cars are both manual, but the u joints are the same, at least for diagnosing purposes

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”