LM Heater Hoses ?

All Models and Years
acarlson

LM Heater Hoses ?

Post by acarlson »

I know I can get replacement hoses from Clarks, but I'm wondering if there are other alternatives that you have used and can recommend.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
terribleted

Re: LM Heater Hoses ?

Post by terribleted »

People use all kinds of stuff. Dryer hose, heavy duty dryer hose, some plastic stuff called super silver hose for example. Clark's even offer 2 different materials, the original cloth and a rubber version. The original style cloth hose is the best, most durable option. It is less affected by oil and heat that anything else I have seen except metal duct (yes I have even seen 4" metal flue type ducting used...this is not a very good option as the engine moves around on its mounts and the ducting is pretty stiff). The rubber hoses are quite durable (Clark's says more durable than the repros even), but can get squishy if saturated with oil. The plastic hoses can melt and softer ones are quite floppy and hard to keep in a good position so they do not rub on things. The original type hoses are expensive, but, properly installed using a strap on each side (P/N C837R) to keep them routed up off the axles (should be used regardless of what hose is used) they work very well and last a very long time. The original style hoses are not effected much by oil. When you do your hoses you should install the heater hose collar P/N C8281 on the left hose where it routes by the starter. This piece is added protection to keep the hose from rubbing on the starter wiring and shorting out causing a car fire. One could also achieve this effect with some duct tape or something similar but the foam cover works and lasts a long time, again particularly here, it is very important to use the strap to hold the hose up and away from the starter and axle.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
64powerglide

Re: LM Heater Hoses ?

Post by 64powerglide »

NAPA doesn't list it but they have 4 inch hose that works great for the outside heater hose that connects to the engine. My invoice just says Hose part number 815-5007, I got 6 feet of it & the price in March, 2013 was $23.94. Good stuff!!!!! :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”