Windshield Replacement

All Models and Years
lalkie

Windshield Replacement

Post by lalkie »

I have a 65 Corsa convertible and need to replace the windshield. Prices range from about $400.00 to $200.00 at Rock Auto. Is there a difference in quality? Are the ones for $200.00 a factory second? If anyone has used one of the cheaper units please let me know any good.
Thanks Larry
terribleted

Re: Windshield Replacement

Post by terribleted »

Here where I am my glass man can get a first quality unit and installed price is under $200 for a late model windshield
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

I was talking with a fellow today who was unhappy with his new windshield install. Basically you will NOT get a long lasting job by just a glass installer.

These old cars require the windshield frame to be cleaned to bare metal, holes (if any) fixed, and a decent primer and paint applied. Then you install new sealer and the glass. A LOT of work usually requiring a body shop that knows how to deal with old cars.

Most glass installers just cut the old seal (sometimes down to bare metal) and apply a bead of sealer and stick the new glass in. Quick, but not long lasting and expect corrosion to set in after a while.

I've done a few 60's "glue in glass" cars over the decades and learned the hard way. Now I sandblast down to bare metal, do repairs, prime and paint (quality automotive paint). I have the glass guys just deliver the glass and I install it myself. 3M makes the adheasive "rope" and sealer for the glass install.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

There is indeed a difference between windshield area body repair and a windshield install.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

dave t

Post by dave t »

JR glass in Ontario Calif. They have a website. Google it
Use 3M butyl tape to install it. I have had good luck with it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

lalkie

Post by lalkie »

I live in Grand Junction Co so I am not close any shops that have experience with Corvairs. I expected to have to remove the old glass first and clean, repair and repaint the windshield frame. There seems to be a number of ways to seal the windshield. I expected to purchase a new seal from Clarks. But find they used a windshield cord and silicon sealer. But was asking if the less expensive windshields from Rock Auto is a lower quality or the same as as the more expensive windshields. I have watched moto head's video and should be able remove and do any needed repairs. Thanks for the help. Larry
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Glass installation in the late model Corvair is pretty conventional. It is a glued in glass very much like current cars. The original method of installation was windshield primer and windshield cord (butyl tape) (the silicon sealer Clark's is showing should be totally unnecessary if the mounting flange is straight and primer and cord are used properly). If you want to use cord buy the 3M. The late model Corvair glass can be installed conventionally with current windshield urethanes (yes just like the glass it the wife's 2015 Honda). Windshield prime, apply bead of windshield urethane, install glass. Care must be taken to be neat enough that the urethane bead does not show from behind the trim after installation and that it does not interfere with interior glass edge trim either (the cord is neater). I would expect that there are not that many producers of Corvair windshields (maybe 2-3), chances are the cheapest you find is the same glass you can buy for a whole lot more money elsewhere. By the way I search on Rockauto and do not see where they even sell a windshield for our cars. You should have been to our Corvair show here in Georgia last weekend. A man showed up with a glass truck with 10 or so brand new late model windshields and sold them all in a few hours. I heard the price was $100 each.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Over the years I've seen a lot of confusing information on windshield installations on the forums.

The correct method to get proper glass height is to use the butyl ribbon, or cord. There are a number of different "butyl" compounds and the newer ones are better than the old 60's butyl compounds. 3M sells a variety of "butyl" products in different sizes.

First - most of the reports on the new windshields indicates they are "thinner". Kind of a vague description, but those that have installed the new Corvair replacement windshields use a 3/8" thick 3M automotive glass butyl ribbon. With an ORIGINAL windshield (i.e. thicker) a 5/16" butyl ribbon was used. With the 3/8" thick butyl ribbon it sets the new "thinner" windshields at the proper height so the trim fits properly. When you get a new windshield check the glass thickness against the original windshield to verify. I've got an old windshield laying around and can check it if you'd like.

Second - the width and height of new glass is reported to be slightly less - so more caution is required when positioning the glass.

Third - the windshield sits on a few rubber blocks (I've seen two or more from the factory). This aids in installation and more importantly keeps the glass from slowly shifting (the butyl stays flexible) down in the frame. You can buy new blocks, cut for height and allow room for the trim too clear.

Forth - Make sure all the trim clips are installed. The factory (and manual says) put the butyl ribbon (cord) on the glass first - DON'T. The body frame tends to be "rough" so I install the butyl ribbon (and leave the paper separater on the cord) in the frame and set the windshield on the rubber blocks against the cord to look for voids. One it all looks good use a grease pencil or masking tape to mark the glass and body with reference points. Lift off the windshield, CLEAN the edges and THEN I pull off the butyl paper separator and install the glass via the reference marks. ONCE THE GLASS TOUCHES THE BUTYL IT WILL NOT COME BACK OUT UNLESS YOU CUT THE BUTYL!!

Having a helper and suction cups is suggested. DO NOT USE silicone if you find any voids (there may be a few small ones). 3M makes a supplemental sealer 3M# 08509 in a caulk tube to run around the edge. It's a black paste so it won't run and takes 24 hours to cure so you have time to smooth it out or remove excess. DO LEAVE ROOM FOR THE TRIM.

It just takes some patience - Good luck.
bill957010

Post by bill957010 »

I have a 1966 Monza with a good windshield and a 65 Corsa convertible with a cracked one. First off I’d think the windshield would be the same. Am I right? No I’m wondering if there’s a tool I could get it to remove the windshield? Is this something I could do myself? How hard would it be? What type of sealant used?
Thank you bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bill957010

Post by bill957010 »

Oh it looks as it 66 vairguy answered my question. Just have to open my eyes. I’m bad

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Yes the LM sedan, coupe, convertible frame sizes are the same so same windshield. HOWEVER -- the convertible windshield frames are notorious for being "OFF". On the other models the roof set the upper frame. On the convertible a few different pieces are welded together. My top frame was 1/4" smaller on one side vs the other. I had sand blasted my frame to fix a few issues (Western car so minor corrosion) and I aligned the frame with a BIG hammer and block.
bill957010

Post by bill957010 »

Is there a tool I can get to help me cut out the butyl. What types of knifes would you recommend.
I want to get the broke windshield out to clean up the metal channel for the new glass and to paint. When I put the good one in I’m thinking I’m try to find an old school windshield installer.
Thank vairguy

Wagon Master

Post by Wagon Master »

Page 208 of the Clark's Corvair parts catalog.
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell a couple of windshield seal cutting tools. You usually have to modify them to fit/work.

davemotohead has a good video on cutting out a windshield using a flexible carpet cutting knife (use extreme caution with this tool, but it works).

The other tool is braided wire you poke through a hole you have to make in the seal and then you and another person "see - saw" they wire back and forth to cut the sealer. Only problem is that two people are needed that are both physically fit to pull back and forth.

Yes it is best to try and pull out the glass as one piece.

If you end up with any voids in the new sealer DO NOT USE SILICONE to seal, use the 3M glass sealer.
toytron

Post by toytron »

66vairguy wrote:
The other tool is braided wire you poke through a hole you have to make in the seal and then you and another person "see - saw" they wire back and forth to cut the sealer. Only problem is that two people are needed that are both physically fit to pull back and forth.

Yes it is best to try and pull out the glass as one piece.
As 66 mentioned, the two person see saw method works but as I found out when I was younger and worked at a bone yard you cannot rush it. It is easy to chip the edge of the glass with the wire. We use to use a strong piano wire because it was flexible. A pair of slip joint pliers to jab it through and then twist the wire around a pair on each side and slowly saw it back and forth. Once you get to the end a little pressure outward will usually start the window to tilt away from the frame. I would definitely watch Dave's video on it but again if you use the blade method be VERY careful.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”