Back trim removal on a 64 convertable

All Models and Years
AZScott

Back trim removal on a 64 convertable

Post by AZScott »

I am in the middle of getting a ’64 em convertible ready for paint. I would like to carefully remove the trim pieces at the back of the top where the back deck meets the top, ...without destroying them. I am assuming they snap on and maybe pull out from the top, but thought I would ask someone who has already removed them on how to best do this.
At the back corner, there is only one of the snaps that has a Phillips head screw head inside. This is the 4th snap in. I am assuming that is the only screw to be removed, can't see any others.
Appreciate any advice, thanks
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Re: Back trim removal on a 64 convertable

Post by terribleted »

There is a screw from the inside at the front tip on either side of the car. You lower the top. remove the screws and tap the trim in toward the interior. (I use a block of wood and a hammer) It snaps in place with clips. If you can get ahold of an extra broken piece you can fashion a splice to go over the broken spot near the front that is evident in your photo. Cut a piece about 1" long from the front of the extra trim piece and with a little bending and fiddling you can make it so it will snap over the crack. Drill a hole thru the snap and into the body on the forward snap and install a chrome plated screw like the ones used to hold the trim elsewhere to secure this area just forward of the crack to make keep this area from flexing when removing and installing the top boot. IF by chance you have collected some unbroken trims to replace your broken ones drill this snap on those when installing and apply a screw into the body. This will reinforce the trim by its weak spot and help prevent it from flexing and cracking from top boot removal and installation.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Terribleted, Thanks,… I had that same seam after the first snap on both sides in exactly the same place and assumed that was normal. Glade I posted photos. I will take your advice on the repair. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

That "seam" is a cracked stainless weld where the front part of the trim was originally joined to the back it is supposed to be seamless. The crack unfortunately is common because the trim flexs.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

Nickshu

Post by Nickshu »

That problem is so common that Clarks sells a stainless steel "clip" that snaps on overtop the broken weld to hide it. I have heard some people recommend not using any retaining clips between the corner and the front screw at the quarter window to avoid stress on this area when you reinstall it.

Unfortunately this trim piece is not reproduced and NOS or good one are hard to find. I found a good one for my '64 Spyder but it took some hunting.
Nick
1964 Monza Spyder Convertible #435 - Rotisserie restored - SOLD ON BRING A TRAILER 4/30/2019 - Check out my restoration thread here: [corvaircenter.com]
Thanks to all the awesome CCF, CF, COG, and CORSA members who helped me with the restoration!
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Nickshu wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 10:43 am That problem is so common that Clarks sells a stainless steel "clip" that snaps on overtop the broken weld to hide it. I have heard some people recommend not using any retaining clips between the corner and the front screw at the quarter window to avoid stress on this area when you reinstall it.

Unfortunately this trim piece is not reproduced and NOS or good one are hard to find. I found a good one for my '64 Spyder but it took some hunting.
I had not seem a Clark's splice piece...does not surprise me. I have put a screw thru the front snap on a few cars and to my knowledge none of those have broken after that.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”