Help desperately needed..

All Models and Years
Going4joe

Re: Help desperately needed..

Post by Going4joe »

Ok thanks for the heads up! I've heard other people say Clark's has good interior products...

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Clark's interior parts are top drawer.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Watch the Upholstery Tour video below to get some idea of what it takes to manufacture excellent quality replacements for your Corvair. If you like what you see, there are quite a few other videos that will take you on a tour of the Clark's Corvair Parts facilities. Just click on the link under CLARK'S CORVAIR PARTS TOUR — VIDEOS below to view as many as you would like. I have watched them all and found them to be very informative and interesting. The Clark's Corvair Parts links will take you to their upholstery and carpet sections in the catalog...

ImageImage
Clark's Corvair Parts
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi

UPHOLSTERY...
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... _page=261B

CARPETING...
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... N&page=277

CLARK'S CORVAIR PARTS TOUR — VIDEOS
:link: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6004&p=41108#p41108

Clark's Corvair Parts - Upholstery Tour

Published on Jan 21, 2013
Tour Clarks Corvair Parts Upholstery shop and see how upholstery, door panels, top boots &
gaskets are produced.
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Going4joe

Post by Going4joe »

Hi all,

Just to wrap this email thread up - the "mystery knocking sound" that had three mechanic/machinists utterly baffled as to what was causing it, has been resolved. The replacement of one cylinder jug, that should have been standard bore like all the other cylinders (but this one was bored out for some reason to 0.020") in the motor was indeed the problem. I bought a new cylinder jug from Clarks, and installed it. After three complete tear downs of this motor, I , with zero engine rebuilding skills, put this engine back together by myself and got it started Friday 5/12. It fired right up! After some valve adjusting, carb adjusting and timing adusting.. the car is running pretty freaking well, if I dont say so myself. Its not perfect -there are still some bugs that I need to work out:

1. While I had car on lift, I pulled out the sending unit on the gas tank. The needle on the gas guage in the car reads beyond a F (full) tank always. Car has 2 gals of gas in it - guage reads beyond full. I replaced the sending unit (which was in horrendous condition). Guage still reads beyond F. Im getting a new fuel tank for it this week as there is quite a bit of rust inside the current one - I mean I can peel shards of rust off the inside of tank with my fingers like Im peeling a banana! New tank is a-coming.

2. Motor runs but idles high. All the time, even when chokes close. Car rides down the street nicely. Powerglide shifts properly. when I let my foot off gas pedal, car feels like its going to stall. Sometimes it does. If I throw it in neutral and flutter the gas pedal as I approach a stop street, I can keep it from stalling - sometimes, by fluttering the gas pedal. When I put it in drive, I step on pedal and...wwwwaaaaaoooo this huge hesitation happens.. it feels like its going to stall, then suddenly it lurches forward! Is this a vaccuum leak? Carb problem? I had both carbs rebuilt by Raffee at Corvair1.com so Im thinking the carbs are ok. Any thoughts on this?

3. Idle issue: idles high. I think its adjusted correctly but car seems to idle too high. May be tied into #2 above?

I want to again say Thank You to the many smart, resourceful, talented Corvair enthusiasts on this forum - many of you, with your wisdom and suggestions, talked me off the ledge many times during the motor rebuild. I owe all of you guys my sanity. Just encouraging me to stick to it, to take charge and become my own mechanic, is what helped me get this thing completed (oh and my friend with the garage wanted car out of there as business is suddenly very busy for him and he needed the lift - I totally understood!)

So in the coming weeks I will get the new tank in, hopefully fix the idle issues and get car to run right, and I can focus on redoing the interior as I drive the car every day!

Bill
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Going4joe wrote:...After three complete tear downs of this motor, I , with zero engine rebuilding skills, put this engine back together by myself and got it started Friday 5/12. It fired right up! After some valve adjusting, carb adjusting and timing adusting.. the car is running pretty freaking well, if I dont say so myself. Its not perfect -there are still some bugs that I need to work out...
:clap: :clap: :clap: :not worthy: :not worthy:

I think many of us have learned some lessons from reading this thread! :tu: :tu:

Check for vacuum leaks, check the static ignition timing (vacuum advance disconnected and plugged). Make sure that the vacuum advance is connected to the vertical (spark) vacuum port, and that it is working properly.

Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Paulvill76

Post by Paulvill76 »

Good to know, i wil check mine as well

Thanks for sharing !
Pablo Vilaronga
Corvair 500 1960 4 Door Sedan
Buenos Aires . Argentina
Facebook: http://bit.ly/2qqqPBM
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I have a shop in Colonia, where did you have the work done? I couldn't imagine sending a customer away with a noise after a new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Steve
1961 Corvair 700 Sedan (80hp 3spd Gasoline Heat)
eaglefm

Post by eaglefm »

I like to read up on problems and answers. I thank all you guys who go out of the way to help us

Sent from my SM-N910V using Corvair Forum mobile app

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”