67 Fuel line fixed!! but still no gas to carbs?? please help

All Models and Years
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: 67 Fuel line fixed!! but still no gas to carbs?? please help

Post by bbodie52 »

Fuel Pump Bench Checking.jpg
Honestly though, I don't believe bench checking a mechanical fuel pump is a practical maneuver. If you just want to confirm that the pump operates properly, you can leave it installed on the engine and use the engine to drive the pump. You need a brass fitting or suitable substitute to allow you to connect a length of fuel line between a gas can in the pump inlet. The connection at the pump must be tight and leakfree. The other end of the fuel line hose should be immersed below the surface of the gasoline in the gas can. A similar arrangement can be made at the pump outlet, with the output hose directed into a measuring cup of some type. Such an arrangement should allow you to crank the engine and measure the amount of fuel transferred through the pump in 40 seconds. The shop manual specification indicates that the pump should be able to transfer 1 pint of gasoline in 40 seconds or less. If the pump passes this test as you crank the engine, you can then connect the fuel pump output to the vacuum/pressure gauge and crank the engine again. The shop manual specifies 4-5 psi.

This temporary test arrangement should confirm whether or not the pump is operational. It bypasses the fuel feed line in the Corvair and the carburetor connections. If the test is unsuccessful you can try dismantling the pump and checking the condition of the diaphragms, gaskets, and one-way valves. A repair may be possible depending on what you find. But since pump repair kits are unavailable anything like a damaged valve or a ruptured diaphragm will make the pump unserviceable (but possibly a source of spare parts for repairing another pump).

If the isolated pump does check out and functions properly you can continue with your testing of the rest of the fuel system to figure out where the fault may lie. Remember that the feedline from the fuel tank must not permit any air leakage, even at the pump connection fitting, or the pump will not be able to draw fuel from the tank. A clogged filter at the tank inlet (inside the tank) or stoppage somewhere in the fuel line could also cause the problem. If you get to the point where you are actually connected to the fuel tank and cranking the engine produces fuel at the outlet of the fuel pump you are getting closer. The last stage would be verifying proper float operation and needle valve operation within each carburetor, and that the fuel filters in each carburetor inlet are not clogged.

ImageImage
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
toytron

Post by toytron »

There is Brad using that straw again (last pic).

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza
GriffinGuru

Post by GriffinGuru »

So I was reading this post and so far I see that we have gas up to the fuel pump and he says it can be pulled/syphoned up to that point, but we have no gas getting to the carb(s)? I guess he hasn't replied back yet as to testing if the pump works by disconnecting the fuel lines at the carb and working the pump.

One trick I learned here that may also be helpful is the "CPR" method of priming the pump :tu: . It would be a safer way of seeing if the pump will move fuel while the lines to the carb are off, but not have the risk of starting a huge fire since the car will not be cranking. James, I would recommend trying the CPR method to test the pump. It is essentially just removing the locater bolt, but leaving the pump lines still attached. Once the bolt is removed you can manually push up and down on the pump actuating the push rod by hand. This method works pretty good as I used it last summer to diagnose an issue I found with my pump. It the pump is working you will should see fuel squirt every time you push it and let up, and since you have gas up to the in-line filter at the wheel well, it should not take too many pumps to see fuel come out if all is well.

Now we don't know if the needle in the carbs is stuck, but one other thing you should double check is that the tapered bolt is not pushing through the pump and jamming the pump push rod preventing it from moving. This is the issue I discovered in my car, and from years of wear or repeated removal, the locating hole in my pump was ovalled and wider than normal, so much that the locating bolt was able to push further inward and stop up the push rod. I did not have a spare pump, so I ground the tip of the bolt taper back so it doesn't hit, but still leave enough of a taper to locate the hole.

Just another possibility I want to throw in here. But the needle sticking in the carbs is also a big possibility, especially since the car has been sitting so long so we don't want to ignore that as a possibility for sure!
It keeps me humble:
64 Corvair Monza convertible called Lucy (work in progress)
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Griff,
He did open the lines at the carbs & still didn't get gas coming out. He has fuel to the filter but i'm sure it's going to take a lot of cranking to remove all the air in the lines. I do like the CPR method though. :goodpost: JCIII, you could take the inlet line off the pump & see if you can suck some gas up that far.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
toytron

Post by toytron »

Ok, so I skimmed through the past posts and I didn't notice if the brass tee was checked out. Is it clear or clogged? I to like the CPR method but it has to be done when the pump rod it up. That was also interesting in that the tapered bolt has caused an issue for you Griff.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
JamesCalvinIII

Post by JamesCalvinIII »

Thanks for the breakdowns!

Some progress has been made and it turned out to be a few issues, but all learning points.
Wagon Master wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am Were there any direction arrows on you fuel filter? I'll take my wild stab and say based on the pictures, the filter is installed backwards.
The fuel filter WAS installed backwards, which most likely clogged the fuel lines again.. so I took all the fuel lines off, and re-tested them.

The fuel line coming off the filter was clogged so I clear out the line and reattached it to the fuel pump...
64powerglide wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:18 am Griff,
He did open the lines at the carbs & still didn't get gas coming out. He has fuel to the filter but i'm sure it's going to take a lot of cranking to remove all the air in the lines. I do like the CPR method though. :goodpost: JCIII, you could take the inlet line off the pump & see if you can suck some gas up that far.

I took out the set bolt and started pumping the fuel pump by hand CPR style... I got fuel to come out the splitter... fuel pumps works!

The next step would be to get them to come out of the fuel lines going to the carbs.. I tested them both and they hold pressure... once I hooked up the lines, I left them disconnected at the carbs

but now the fuel pump won't pump.. it barely moves.. even with the set screw out

It got a little dark so I am going to work on it tomorrow morning but at least we know the pump is good

maybe I can't do the CPR style pumping with the fuel lines installed?

bbodie52 wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 am If the isolated pump does check out and functions properly you can continue with your testing of the rest of the fuel system to figure out where the fault may lie. Remember that the feedline from the fuel tank must not permit any air leakage, even at the pump connection fitting, or the pump will not be able to draw fuel from the tank. A clogged filter at the tank inlet (inside the tank) or stoppage somewhere in the fuel line could also cause the problem. If you get to the point where you are actually connected to the fuel tank and cranking the engine produces fuel at the outlet of the fuel pump you are getting closer. The last stage would be verifying proper float operation and needle valve operation within each carburetor, and that the fuel filters in each carburetor inlet are not clogged.

ImageImage

Brad, I am assuming the those filters are clogged, I'm going to work on that tomorrow, would they sell those carb stones at auto zone?
toytron

Post by toytron »

They might sell them but they are suppose to be able to be cleaned. I bought a box of them from rockauto some time back cheaper than what I have seen others sell one for and they were a brand name too. You might have to check around though.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Those filters seldom get clogged and if you had the lines off they are not the problem. Now that you did get some gas to the pump crank the engine over with the lines off at the carbs but rig something up to catch any gas coming out. 2 man job is best & you can use starting fluid to save on the battery & starter. Don't forget, if you get gas coming out the lines it's going to take a little while to fill the float bowls after you reconnect the lines.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
JamesCalvinIII

Post by JamesCalvinIII »

The Corvair is up and running!

it seems to be a little bit of everything, clogged lines, fuel filter, and carb filters

once I corrected the fuel filter, I cleaned the lines and carb filter

It started right up after a couple cranks and runs great!

thanks for all the help guys!
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAA :tu: :woo: :clap:

Glad to hear it,now have some crusin!!!

Kalamazoo, Mi..
toytron

Post by toytron »

Congrats!!! Now go enjoy the ride. It feels even nicer knowing what it took to accomplish and the stuff you learned along the way knowing you did it with your own two hands.

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair monza

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”