Removing a gas tank from a '64

All Models and Years
AZScott

Removing a gas tank from a '64

Post by AZScott »

Getting ready to remove the Gas tank on a ’64 Corvair. In looking at the task, it appears I might be able to pivot the sway bar by removing the mounts to the frame (picture attached) out of the way and drop it that way. Not sure how easy it will lower with the filler neck and all.
I am wondering if I should just remove the entire suspension instead. It looks to me like a 5 hour (just a guess) job unless some of the bolts are frozen. I would welcome any suggestions from those that have done this before. Thanks
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Gwrodzhi

Re: Removing a gas tank from a '64

Post by Gwrodzhi »

Just remove the front sway bar completely. It's not hard I had one bolt that rusted to sleeve in the bushing that I had to cut out. As far as dropping the tank goes it will come out with the filler neck attached. I would recommend ordering all new hardware and bushings for both the sway bar and gas tank especially the hanger bolts for the tank as I broke one removing the tank. Getting the tank back in can be a bit of a challenge I put the filler neck in place then pushed the tank up and tightened the clamps With the tank in place. I wouldn't remove the entire suspension for this job as it would probably open a can of worms.
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks Gwrodzdi, appreciate the advise. I will try it that way.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks Gwrodzdi, appreciate the advise. I will try it that way.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
Gwrodzhi

Post by Gwrodzhi »

You may also want to replace the fuel filler house, sending unit and fuel line going from gas tank to the steel line. On the new tank I had to bend the edges of the tank a bit. I did mine about 6 months ago so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
Danny Joe

Post by Danny Joe »

If it hasn't been done yet, you probably want to replace the brake line that requires tank removal for access!
'64 Spyder Convertible
'63 Rampside (to be Rotisseried)
Toney, Alabama (just outside Huntsville)
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Thanks again guys, Got it out no problems. My tank is relatively clean, I was anticipating 50 years of accumulated gunk at the bottom. Appreciate the tips, I had planned to replace the sending unit and I will definitely check out the brake line.
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

In the West I just drop the entire front suspension, but of course the bolts out here almost always come out easily. If the bolts are rusted in place you may want to just drop the sway bar.

While you have the gas tank out check the brake hard lines. On the LM one line runs above the tank, impossible to get at unless you drop the tank - not sure on the EM cars.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”