EM rear wheel bearings

All Models and Years
jdflight

EM rear wheel bearings

Post by jdflight »

Good Evening fellow Corvair owners

I am in the middle of rear suspension rebuild which is to include the rear wheel bearings. I have currently ran into a snag with pressing out the old rear wheel bearings so I can rebuild them (clarks order already placed). I was wondering what some other owner might have used to press them out? I am currently using a 20 ton press but the adapter or bearing separator is not holding up to the pressure. I would like some suggestions of what other people might have used for a set up.

Thank you in advance
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
:assault:
64powerglide

Re: EM rear wheel bearings

Post by 64powerglide »

I did mine last year, had to take the axles to a big truck shop. They had a 40 ton press & they were still coming off hard but they got them to pop at 35 ton. Charged me $50.00. :sad5: Anyway they are done & quiet as a mouse. :tu:
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
wbabst

Post by wbabst »

Mine didn't come off too easy either, one ended up being good enough to reinstall, the other I replaced. Since the seal on that one was already shot, I used penetrating oil and a little heat to get it free. It took every bit of my 20 ton press to get it free. I am with Jeff, if your press isn't getting it take to someone with a bigger press, but soak it with some Kroil or PB Blaster first and let it set some.

Current owner
61(x2) Monza Cpe
55 Pontiac Chieftain Wagon

61 Progress here
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chevrole ... 7898185672
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Goose-N6 ... 8869056897
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

Thanks everyone, it looks like I will be taking them some where to have it done. I got an estimate of 80.00 an axle and thought that was high but maybe not.
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

For comparison shopping purposes, here is what Clark's charges to do the work on your axle. The cost of the replacement bearing is extra, and the customer pays for shipping both ways...

ImageImage
:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... w_page=166

Part number C11770: REMOVE & INSTALL BEARING ON YOUR CAR OR FC AXLE,YOU MUST SEND IN & SUPPLY/ORDER BRG

Weight: 15 lbs 0 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 166
Price: $ 145.00
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

thank you for the information, I think I am going to try somewhere local to press them out. I have already ordered the kit.
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
Latrgatr

Post by Latrgatr »

I ordered the bearing puller tool sold by Clarks (in their tool catalog) designed by Russel Davis. I have done four axles without issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

Latrgatr

Thank you for the information, I am considering purchasing. Do you feel its worth the cost? Did it come with the everything to pull off and put back on?
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

I finally found a shop to press my bearings off the rear axles. So I am in process of rebuilding them with the kit from Clarks and I am a little confused on measuring for the correct shim.

I am assuming I put the races in clamp together and measure from the side that goes towards the transmission. Any help would be appreciated ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I can't help you with the shims, my 64 has the one piece cast housings & it has a big snap ring holding the bearings in. I just added shims up to the snap ring groove. Your kind look a bit harder to figure out. Look for a Davemotohead1 video. Dave doesn't mention anything about shims in this video. I wonder if your type uses shims, Clark's may just put the shims in the kit so they are there in case you have a 63/64 hub. :dontknow:

64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
jdflight

Post by jdflight »

update finally got one bearing completed today have speaking with Clarks about using shims correctly
Attachments
IMG_0524.JPG
IMG_0525.JPG
jdflight
61Monza aka Wilma

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”