Rear wheel hubs

All Models and Years
my65

Rear wheel hubs

Post by my65 »

I need some help!! I just replaced the bearings and seals in both rear wheel hubs but when reinstalling them on the car, the right side yoke is short of the driveshaft by over a quarter of an inch??? :dontknow: of course I have already installed the brakes and brake lines so I do not want to completely dismantle again if I am just missing the obvious. I have checked to make sure the hub is seated on frame ( it is ) and the yoke is protruding from the frame the same on either side.
Attachments
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0284.JPG
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
64powerglide

Re: Rear wheel hubs

Post by 64powerglide »

Diffy yokes are different lengths, did you switch them or didn't you remove them? If you didn't remove the axle yokes just pull the drive shafts into place and bolt them up. If you did remove them the long one goes on the left side.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
my65

Post by my65 »

I dismantled both the rear wheel hubs but "thought" I keep the left side separate from the right. The left is back in the car and bolted up nicely. The only difference I can see on the assembled hub is the right side has only one spindle thread exposed and the left has four?? Both spindle carter pins holes lined up. I don't know where to look!
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I would suggest taking the spring out(and maybe the upper strut rod) of that side so the trailing arm is somewhat loose to where you can rotate it over enough to get the cap back on the u joint and thread the bolts through then draw it tight. It should not take a lot of torque on the bolts to draw the u joint back into the yoke and if it does then stop. You may be able to get it without even taking the spring out if the bolts will reach.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

looks to me like you need to push the wheel assembly in to seat the U-Joint. This is difficult to do if the strut rods are in place. Your photo looks like the typical alignment when installing the axles before applying force inward to seat the joint and bolt in place. This is more easily accomplished with the strut rods removed. but, then there is the issue of getting the inner strut rod brackets to line up for re-bolting (I usually accomplish this by lowering the rear of the powertrain a few inches until things line up...do not forget to disconnect anything that might bind or stretch when lowering the rear of the engine). I have had a heavy strong buddy push on the wheel to install the u-joint with the struts in place, not easy sometimes but generally can be done. The only thing I find odd about your post is that it seems you had no trouble with the other side...usually this is an issue on both sides. Suspension camber adjustments can affect this as well so maybe they are not similar left and right?...or you just got lucky:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
my65

Post by my65 »

When I removed the wheel hubs, I saw very little movement of the brake backing plates. If I measure from the bolt head of the transmission side u clamp, I get a difference of 1 1/8 " to the brake backing plate ( left side bolted to drive shaft and right side unbolted. The distance from the brake side u clamp matting surface to the back side of the wheel hub is 3.535" on both sides. The gap from the u joint to yoke is 730"
If I jack or pull the hub into place ( it will take a lot of force) what about the strain on the gears and bearings in the differential ?
Attachments
IMG_0285.JPG
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0290.JPG
IMG_0291.JPG
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Are all of you saying the yoke in the differential won't slide outward so the axle can be bolted to the hub yoke???? The yoke in the diffy is splined!!
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

I can see in your first photo the spring is cocked off its seat. The top of the torque arm looks tilted outward. This also looks normal to me. I does take considerable force to push it into place. I have had helpers push in with bracing so they could put their back in it and still had a hard time before....they seem to vary some. Goes in much easier with the strut rod removed from the bottom of the transaxle.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.

davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

This is Normal when removing the drive shafts, put a tie down strap on the top of the trailing arm some where and hook it to the other side and pull the top of the arm in till the U-Joint seats and put the retainers on.
my65

Post by my65 »

Thanks for all the imput....I need to go to Paincourtville Louisiana tomorrow morning to help my son for several days. When I get back into Porter, I will do what ya'll suggested😊 I need to get the car out for it's madden voyage !
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed
66 Corsa Coupe
140hp 4 speed
Porter, Texas
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

davemotohead wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:35 pm This is Normal when removing the drive shafts, put a tie down strap on the top of the trailing arm some where and hook it to the other side and pull the top of the arm in till the U-Joint seats and put the retainers on.
Dammit Dave I keep forgetting this way. I have seen you say this before. I need to remember next time I need to do just ujoints (or offer advice:) )...it will certainly work easier (particularly as I usually work alone) than brute force. I have not thought about it because I have only had Axles out along with a powertrain in a very long time so bolting in the axles and then raising powertrain back works fine:)

davemotohead
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by davemotohead »

A ratchet strap works great as you can just ratchet it in till it fits and put all the retaining straps in place. I did a Vid on it.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

davemotohead wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:43 pm A ratchet strap works great as you can just ratchet it in till it fits and put all the retaining straps in place. I did a Vid on it.
Yeah I watched it, it will certainly work. Just since I have not had a need since I saw it, it did not come to mind:0 A lot better than someone pushing it in and not being able to hold it just as the u-joint cap is almost in place and the bloody thing slips out dropping the cap and spilling needles all over the floor...

my65

Post by my65 »

:ty: THANK YOU, :not worthy: I got back yesterday and used a small come along to pull the torque arms to the universal!! It only took three clicks!!! :tu: Here is how I hooked it up and the final location of the coil spring and touque arm.

I could not find dave's video, does anyone know how I could view it?f
Attachments
IMG_0293.JPG
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0296.JPG
IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0303.JPG
Ed ( my65 )
65 Monza Convertible
110 HP 4 Speed
63 Monza Coupe
140 HP 4 Speed