64 won't start

All Models and Years
HollywoodRaab

64 won't start

Post by HollywoodRaab »

It gradually ran poorly. Now 64 Corvair Monza won't start. I've done a few things. Gas lines & 2 new carbs. Still wouldn't start. The other day got it to start & ran great, hoped this time it was fixed. Pulling back into barn it stalled. It has done that in the past. Ran fine stalls & won't start again. I changed the ignition coil. Since it sometimes runs fine, it makes me think its some simple electrical /timing thing. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

David
HollywoodRaab

Re: RE: 64 won't start

Post by HollywoodRaab »

HollywoodRaab wrote:It gradually ran poorly. Now 64 Corvair Monza won't start. I've done a few things. Gas lines & 2 new carbs. Still wouldn't start. The other day got it to start & ran great, hoped this time it was fixed. Pulling back into barn it stalled. It has done that in the past. Ran fine stalls & won't start again. I changed the ignition coil. Since it sometimes runs fine, it makes me think its some simple electrical /timing thing. Any ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

David
I also put a new fuel pump on it

Sent from my SM-P900 using Corvair Forum mobile app

64powerglide

Re: 64 won't start

Post by 64powerglide »

How old is the coil wire, the one going from the coil to the distributor? I once had a Datsun that did the same thing, carbon core wire set and the coil wire was cracked inside & after it started it would get hot & the crack would open up & no spark to the cap. Got lucky one time a saw the wire expand after I got it running then it quit. I pulled one plug wire & put it where the coil wire was & I drove it home on 3 cylinders. Hope it's something simple like that for you. I also had a 57 Chevy that would run for a while then quit & not restart, cracked dist. cap. Ceramic resistors will do the same thing, get hot & open up then you have no spark until they cool off. Hope you don't have one of those in your electronics.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
HollywoodRaab

Re: RE: Re: 64 won't start

Post by HollywoodRaab »

64powerglide wrote:How old is the coil wire, the one going from the coil to the distributor? I once had a Datsun that did the same thing, carbon core wire set and the coil wire was cracked inside & after it started it would get hot & the crack would open up & no spark to the cap. Got lucky one time a saw the wire expand after I got it running then it quit. I pulled one plug wire & put it where the coil wire was & I drove it home on 3 cylinders. Hope it's something simple like that for you. I also had a 57 Chevy that would run for a while then quit & not restart, cracked dist. cap. Ceramic resistors will do the same thing, get hot & open up then you have no spark until they cool off. Hope you don't have one of those in your electronics.
I'll check the wire. As far as I know its the original, so not a bad idea to replace it. Heat isn't a factor since it won't start anytime & its in the 20's here in Michigan.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Corvair Forum mobile app

64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

Either no fuel or no spark. You could pull a plug & someone crank it over and see if you have spark at the plug. Make sure you have the plug grounded. What part of Michigan are you? Might be a club that can help.
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:welcome2: Welcome to the Corvair Forum!

This intermittent running condition you described, where it appears to run well, then stalls and will not start, may be an indicator of a faulty wiring harness. The most-common fault location is within the plastic 10-pin multi-connector in the engine compartment, below the voltage regulator. These aging multi-connectors are subjected to years of exposure to heat, vibration, and moisture, which can loosen the internal electrical contacts and cause corrosion that can result in faulty or high-resistance connections between the multiple metal connectors in the two halves of the plastic connector shell.

When the car will not start or otherwise dies on its own, leave the key ON and use a multimeter to measure the voltage between the positive terminal on the coil and chassis ground. There is a resistor wire in the circuit, as shown in the schematic diagram below. If the ignition points are closed, you should measure approximately 7 VDC at the coil. If the points are open, the voltage reading should be approximately 12 VDC. If the voltage is not present, or is very low, separate the two halves of the multi-connector and clean or check the condition of the metal contacts within the connector. Sometimes just opening and re-seating the two halves will correct the problem, if a fault within this connector exists.

Another possibility is a faulty connector wire between the negative connector on the coil and the distributor points. This short, black wire allows the points to provide a ground connection to the coil when the points are closed (energizing the primary coil winding). When the points open, this magnetic field created by the primary winding collapses, which induces a high voltage in the secondary coil winding to cause spark voltage to be sent to the distributor cap and then routed to one of the six spark plugs. This point lead wire is continually being flexed as the vacuum advance mechanism changes timing. Over the years the metal wire strands within the insulated wire can begin to break down, which can result in a faulty, intermittent connection. A replacement wire is listed in the Clark's Corvair Parts online catalog, as shown below.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=75

Part number C530: 60-69 DISTRIBUTOR POINT LEAD

Weight: 0 lbs 2 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 75,77(11«),77(19)
Price: $ 8.00

1964 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
1964 Corvair Engine Compartment Wiring Diagram
Heat buildup within the ignition coil can also result in coil failure. The factory location for the coil mounts the coil bracket directly to the hot cylinder head. One way to reduce this heat buildup (and engine vibration) is to simply relocate the coil mount to the perimeter frame in the engine compartment, as shown below. This reduces heat transfer from the hot engine to the coil.
Coil Relocation
Coil Relocation

Contacting and possibly joining a local Corvair Society of America (CORSA) Corvair owners club can be very helpful, and can add to your enjoyment of your Corvair. These family-friendly organizations often offer technical training and assistance. and social gatherings such as scenic group drives, picnics, competition events, car shows, etc. There are two general owner clubs in Michigan... hopefully one of those listed below will be close to you.

Detroit Area Corvair Club DACC, 5498 Duffield Rd., Swartz Creek, MI 48473
Email Address: corvairkid1963@aol.com
:link: http://server1.nuge.com/~daccwest/index.html
Welcome to the Detroit Area Corvair Club (DACC) website. The DACC provides a meeting place for Corvair enthusiasts from all over Southeastern Michigan, Northern Ohio, and Western Ontario. We meet in two locations to better serve our membership, which covers a rather large geographic area. Our main meeting is held in Waterford, MI, while our satellite meeting is held in Ypsilanti, MI. There is just one membership dues payment, allowing members to attend either or both meetings to suit their individual needs and desires. Sometimes ya just can't get enough of this wonderful car!
President: Pete Koehler, Email: pkoehler01@gmail.com, Phone: (248) 630-6442

Vice-President: Ian Smith, Email: ianasgrumby@yahoo.com, Phone: (734) 334-8206

West Michigan Corvair Club 7769 Burlingame Ave SW, Byrong Center, MI 49315
:link: http://www.corvair.org/chapters/chapter495/
Email: wmcc@corvair.org
The West Michigan Corvair Club is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan but we cover the western side of Michigan. Non-members are more than welcome to attend our club functions. Just check the events calendar to see when and where the next meeting is. During the winter months, our meetings are held on the third Tuesday of every month.
President - Jamie Reinhart

V.P. - Ryan Counterman

Common and Useful Corvair Websites

:link: viewtopic.php?f=225&t=6007

:dontknow: I would like to encourage you to expand on your initial post and tell us more about yourself, your Corvair, and your goals for the Corvair. If you can describe your personal assessment of your mechanical skills and abilities, that would help a lot. Members of the Corvair Forum love to be helpful in assisting other Corvair owners with technical support and advice, but it helps a lot if we have some understanding of your technical background and mechanical abilities, Corvair-related knowledge, etc. Helping us to know more about you will help us to write comments to you that are tailored to your needs and experience. Knowing your location is also useful, because knowing where you live can sometimes suggest possibilities.

:welcome:
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”