140HP Vapor Locking?

All Models and Years
terribleted

Re: 140HP Vapor Locking?

Post by terribleted »

That is a home made cover I believe. Replace the coil and see how it is. Bad coils can stop producing good spark when they get hot (or if there is some internal shorting can make themselves hot). I have seen this symptom before. Cheap enough to check out. Keep the parts stores coil nice and clean and return it if it doesn't fix the issue:)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Jerp

Post by Jerp »

Having the same "vapor lock" problem in my 64 Greenbrier I think. Starts cold no problem, but once it gets warm and I shut it off... It won't start again. After poking around I thought it was flooding because there was fuel slowly "gurgling" out of this hole in the right carb. Image

After reading this I think it's the location of my fuel lines.

I'm still curious as to why that fuel is coming out of there when it's off

Sent from my SM-G930V using Corvair Forum mobile app

64 Greenbrier
Jerp

Post by Jerp »

Is there any reason I shouldn't put flexible fuel lines into the carbs? I have to reroute these lines and I'd rather not deal with the bending and flaring, etc

64 Greenbrier
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Physical layout of the flat "pancake" opposed six engine can create something of a plumber's nightmare when trying to route fuel lines safely. The physical location of the carburetors can force fuel lines to be routed near the complex fan belt layout. Consideration must be given to what would happen if a fan belt snaps or flips. The fast-moving fan belt could come into contact with the fuel lines. If they are made of soft rubber it is hard to control their exact physical layout, and the possibility of the cut fuel line caused by a misbehaving fan belt has to be a very real concern, when considering the possibility of creating a fire hazard.

GM engineers carefully considered the routing of fuel lines and the materials used to avoid creating the possibility of a fire hazard. Many Corvair owners recommend retaining the original fuel line routing and materials to prevent unintended hazards. Clark's Corvair Parts offers the fuel lines that are properly made and bent to replace aging damaged fuel lines. I don't believe the prices are that high, and purchasing individual lines or a complete set might just be the best approach.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=67

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=68
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
Jerp

Post by Jerp »

bbodie52 wrote:Physical layout of the flat "pancake" opposed six engine can create something of a plumber's nightmare when trying to route fuel lines safely. The physical location of the carburetors can force fuel lines to be routed near the complex fan belt layout. Consideration must be given to what would happen if a fan belt snaps or flips. The fast-moving fan belt could come into contact with the fuel lines. If they are made of soft rubber it is hard to control their exact physical layout, and the possibility of the cut fuel line caused by a misbehaving fan belt has to be a very real concern, when considering the possibility of creating a fire hazard.

GM engineers carefully considered the routing of fuel lines and the materials used to avoid creating the possibility of a fire hazard. Many Corvair owners recommend retaining the original fuel line routing and materials to prevent unintended hazards. Clark's Corvair Parts offers the fuel lines that are properly made and bent to replace aging damaged fuel lines. I don't believe the prices are that high, and purchasing individual lines or a complete set might just be the best approach.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=67

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=68
Appreciate the input. I'm not using the stock fuel pump, so I don't think the pre bent lines are an option without more rerouting. Point taken on the fan belt issue. I may try out the rubber lines to see if that solves the potential vapor lock problem, then look into the steel lines. I was originally baulking at hard lines because of the purchase of flaring and bending tools, but I found out that autozone "loans" them, so I'm a little more apt to go that route now.

64 Greenbrier
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

If you are switching from a stock mechanical fuel pump to an electric fuel pump, Clark's Corvair Parts markets a fuel pump bypass plate that replaces a portion of the original mechanical fuel pump with a dummy plate that is drilled to contain fuel passages. This plate allows you to retain the original fuel distribution plumbing from the mechanical fuel pump location to the carburetors. The single fuel line from the fuel tank (and electric fuel pump location) connects to the dummy plate, as it did originally to the mechanical fuel pump. Would such an arrangement satisfy your needs?

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=66

Part number C12879: FUEL PUMP BY PASS PLATE-STRAIGHT THROUGH WITH ELECTRIC PUMP

Weight: 0 lbs 8 oz
Catalog Pages(s): 66
Price: $ 47.25
Brad Bodie
Jerp

Post by Jerp »

Wow, you literally have an answer to everything. Much appreciated!

64 Greenbrier
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Corvair - Go ahead, make my day..jpg
Sometimes, when I get enough information to give me a better
picture of the problem... a useful thought pops into my head.
I'm glad this thought was useful to you...it made my day!

:confused:
Brad Bodie

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”