Schematic or shop drawing for late model floor support?

All Models and Years
SCfromCanada

Schematic or shop drawing for late model floor support?

Post by SCfromCanada »

Hi,
Currently in the process of restoring a '66 Corsa & would like to replace my left front floor support Plan B is to use the original as a template ( or maybe even repair it), but ideally I would like to cut the old one out & replace it. Does anybody know where to find a shop drawing of a front floor support so I could get one fabricated? I can make it solid, safe, & functional myself but am looking for something that will look OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
terribleted

Re: Schematic or shop drawing for late model floor support?

Post by terribleted »

How about a used section from the south east US desert or something? There are forum members who I am sure could cut and ship such a thing.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

That support was GALVANIZED and if it's that badly corroded, then it puts the whole car in question. However I've seen worse saved.

On the other forum someone has a par of NOS rails for sale (I have never seen these available anywhere). See http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,860506

Your other option is a section form a solid Western car. Davemotohead cuts up cars in the Calif. desert and might have what you want. He posts on both forums.
SCfromCanada

Post by SCfromCanada »

Thanks. Considering the frame rails as an option - though really all I need is the rear section of the left. I will concede that replacing the whole left rail would be better structure-wise. Curiously enough, the floor is solid from about 6" behind the toe boards all the way to the back.

SCfromCanada

Post by SCfromCanada »

Did a run to New Hampshire on the weekend and picked up the frame rails. It's going to be a lot of work, but when done I'll be able to detail the underside so it looks like new.

66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Glad it went well.

I worked on Mid West rust buckets when young and appreciate the efforts to save a rusty car. I moved West and old West coast cars are so much easier to work on. Still we do have corrosion issues, but usually around the windshield and the rockers (they fill up with tree debris and dirt).

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”