Is Turn Signal Switch Removal REALLY This Hard? (1965)

All Models and Years
Tim_D

Is Turn Signal Switch Removal REALLY This Hard? (1965)

Post by Tim_D »

I'm having a bear of a time trying to get my turn signal switch to release on my '65 (standard steering column and wheel). Section 12 of the Chassis Service manual says to simply remove the direction signal assembly (after removal of steering wheel, wire harness, and turn signal lever). My switch WILL NOT BUDGE. I'm thinking the upper bearing not loosening from the steering shaft is the culprit, but I can't be sure.

Anyone try to perform this operation and have similar issues? Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
Regards
-TD
County98

Re: Is Turn Signal Switch Removal REALLY This Hard? (1965)

Post by County98 »

Did you remove the snap ring in front of the bearing? I just did this on my '66. Once the snap ring is off, mine came right out after the 3 screws.

There's pics in my build thread.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Corvair Forum mobile app

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Tim_D

Post by Tim_D »

Snap ring?!?

Interesting that this part is neither mentioned nor shown in the service manual. Awesome.

Thanks for the heads up. So it's easier to remove the snap ring BEFORE the 3 screws? Because my 3 screws are already out...
Regards
-TD
County98

Post by County98 »

Doesn't matter on the screws. Snap ring is a pain to get off a little, and a huge pain to put back, lol. My steering column sucked down 3/8" or so, so you have to pull it back out with one hand...and get ring back on with the other 2...

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

County98

Post by County98 »

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If I am installing a new switch I find it faster and easier to cut away the old switch with a cut off tool to better access the snap ring for prying and removal. I cut straight down into the ball bearing area and then can notch the inner race (without cutting into the column of course). It can then be bent down toward the steering box just a little with a small hammer and drift pretty much releasing the ring in this spot. Positioning the split in the ring at this spot makes for much easier removal. Installing the ring is not as hard as removing it to me.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
Tim_D

Post by Tim_D »

Good advice all, thanks. I ended up sacrificing the old, inoperable switch to the electrical gods.

I'm thinking getting it back on won't be very difficult if you make a "sleeve" tool to push it along the shaft until the ring seats back in its groove.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Regards
-TD
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Interesting... My '65 had the stock turn signal installed. When I replaced it, there was no snap ring on the steering shaft. I probably didn't have to replace the switch. I was trying to fix a turn signal problem which turned out to be the wrong bulbs in the turn signal sockets. Anyway my first attempt at fixing the problem was to replace the turn signal switch. Since there was no snap ring, it came out with no problems. There was no mention of the snap ring in the assembly manual or the shop manual... I wonder if this was a production change and the early '65s didn't have the ring... I've seen other posts where some claimed they had it installed and others said they didn't..
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

acarlson wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:20 am Interesting... My '65 had the stock turn signal installed. When I replaced it, there was no snap ring on the steering shaft. I probably didn't have to replace the switch. I was trying to fix a turn signal problem which turned out to be the wrong bulbs in the turn signal sockets. Anyway my first attempt at fixing the problem was to replace the turn signal switch. Since there was no snap ring, it came out with no problems. There was no mention of the snap ring in the assembly manual or the shop manual... I wonder if this was a production change and the early '65s didn't have the ring... I've seen other posts where some claimed they had it installed and others said they didn't..
There were TWO different steering column designs in 65. The first was like the 64 - a straight rod all the way from the steering box to the steering wheel inside a mast (tube inside car). I could be wrong, but that design did NOT use a snap ring. In 65 GM phased in a two piece steering shaft that was suppose to be safer in a collision. the two piece design had a coupler and bulkhead reinforcement plate and a revised interior mast. The upper shaft had a spring and clamp at the bottom (outside of interior) that was adjustable to allow the upper steering column to be pulled up a little so the snap ring could be fitted at the top of the shaft to hold the switch bearing in place. BEWARE as I've had some of the new switches that would NOT allow the snap ring to be installed. Usually you have to adjust the spring and clamp to allow the shaft to be pulled up enough so the groove is above the bearing and the snap ring can go on. Really not fun.

Finally the late 65 and 66 steering design was safer, but did not meet the new Federal safety standards so GM revised the Corvair (and other GM cars) for a collapsible steering column. BTW in 67 the pedal assembly was changed to accommodate the new column.
acarlson

Post by acarlson »

Well, that could explain it. I have an early '65 with the one piece steering rod. Thanks for the info.

Alec
Alec Carlson
Dahlonega, GA
1965 Regal Red Corsa 4 Speed Turbo Convertible
Restoration "In Progress"...
Tim_D

Post by Tim_D »

Got my new switch on this weekend. I really didn't have too much trouble getting that snap ring seated.

As Country98 suggested above, my steering shaft also "retreated" into the mast jacket about 3/8". The procedure I used was to:

1) Slip the ring over the shaft and press it down with a flat blade screwdriver until the ring contacts the switch upper bearing
2) Install loosely (about 1-2 turns) the 3/4" steering wheel nut on the end of the shaft
3) Clamp a vice grip axially - not radially - to the nut
4) Pull up on the nut using the vice grips, which repositions the shaft in the mast jacket
5) While pulling on the vice grip with one hand, use the flat blade screwdriver to push and seat the ring back into the steering shaft groove.

Took about 10 minutes total, using this process.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
Regards
-TD
County98

Post by County98 »

Good deal.

Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”