Front End Suspension Upgrades

All Models and Years
rv6aaviator

Front End Suspension Upgrades

Post by rv6aaviator »

Anybody have any experiences with retrofitting a corvair front suspension with something like this?

How much fabrication is required?

How does the car handle?

Looking for some feedback if anybody has some.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272427695830?ss ... Track=true
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Jeff Sandor
Prez Cincinnati Corvair Club
62 Convertible
63 Spyder Convertible
64 Spyder Convertible
66 Corsa 140 Coupe
66 Monza Coupe
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Re: Front End Suspension Upgrades

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

Well before anyone gives any advice, I would contact the seller and see if it's a bolt in set up or one that you are going to need to do modifications the car to make fit.

I looked at their ad and every car that they sell the kit for has the same stock image, so that crossmember doesn't look like it's for a Corvair.

Even though it says this:

"Install a Mustang II IFS Kit on you 1960 - 1969 Corvair without breaking the bank! This stage one Mustang II IFS Kit allows you to purchase off the shelf components to complete the IFS kit on you 1960 - 1969 Corvair. These spindles are compatible with Mustang 2 brake kits from any leading manufacturer such as Wilwood, Helix, Heidts, TCI, CPP, or SSBC. It also accepts Ford Grenada Rotors and GM D54 Big bore calipers. Fits all m2 aftermarket steering racks as well as Ford OEM Mustang 2 manual steering racks and 1982-88 Ford Thunderbird power steering racks.

This kit Includes:
Crossmember for 1960 - 1969 Corvair
Tubular Lower Control Arms
Tubular Upper Control Arms
Suspension Top-hat Spring Pockets
Complete Hardware Kit
Standard Height Spindles
Power and Manual Rack Mount Brackets (weld on)
Mustang 2 spindle tie rods
Coil Spring Control Arm Mounts
Coilover Shock Crossbar Mounts
Bolt on spindle steering arms
Upper Ball Joints
Lower ball Joints"

I'd like to know more about the kit before I'd drop $200 on it and find out it doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
rfw66

Post by rfw66 »

The way I read it... $199 was only for shipping! The cost of the kit was over $500. Looks like there would be much more cost with buying the rest of the parts to complete this conversion. Looks pretty cool though! :think:
Bob W
65 Corsa convertible
68 Monza coupe
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

rfw66 wrote:The way I read it... $199 was only for shipping! The cost of the kit was over $500. Looks like there would be much more cost with buying the rest of the parts to complete this conversion. Looks pretty cool though! :think:
Hmm somehow I missed that. Regardless, I'd still find out if it is truly for a Corvair.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
thewolfe
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by thewolfe »

I can guarantee you that is not a bolt in upgrade if it will even work at all. Look at the cross member vs a corvair cross member. The corvair unit has 3 bolts on each side that hold it in the car. This unit is a completely different shape and no bolt holes. It also does not come with springs or shocks or coil overs whichever you decide to run. Would likely have to get custom springs made or buy coil overs which are rather expensive. And figure out how to hook up rack and pinion steering. Looking at the seller's feedback I doubt you will get any useful information from them and the fact that a google search of mustand ii corvair kit only brings up this ebay listing and a new egg page with the same looking kit. You think new egg is a trusted corvair suspension vendor? It's listed as Helix suspension but you go to helix suspension website and no corvair kits to be found. Similar kits from Helix are thousands of dollars. Hmmm smells pretty fishy to me. With the amount of R&D that would go into a kit like this and the very small number of people that would actually buy one I find it highly unlikely anyone would be producing such a kit. But I could be wrong. This is likely a case of if it's too good to be true...

Ah a little deeper digging shows the kit on new egg is sold by johnny law motors as is the one on ebay and they're in portland, OR. Where I live! Go to their website and you will see that this 60-69 corvair kit is sold as a universal kit. Absolutely won't work in our cars without fabrication to make it work and probably quite a lot. The wheelbase alone is 2" too wide.
Nate Wolfe
65 Corsa 180
61 Lakewood 140
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

@thewolfe Good thing you caught that. I definitely think if it was a product made specifically for the Corvair, we would have all been made aware through the social media channels, that's why I suggested to contact the seller.

I will give the Corvair community that, when something aftermarket comes out for our cars, someone usually gives us the heads up.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
momach

Post by momach »

I'm glad this subject was brought up. I've seen these on ebay, but knew there would be some fabrication to get it to fit.
Still, I'd like to improve on the factory crossmember. It looks to be two stamped metal halves spotwelded together, and flimsy looking. Plus, getting a rack and pinion on the Corvair is in my future.

Steve
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

Is there an older chevy or maybe ford that would be more common to access parts for front suspension that would fit on a corvair?

notched

Post by notched »

jmikulec wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:14 pm Is there an older chevy or maybe ford that would be more common to access parts for front suspension that would fit on a corvair?

No but people adapt the G body/S10 ball joints and spindles
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
jmikulec

Post by jmikulec »

I found this on eBay for $325. Is that a good deal?Image

LBC TITAN

Post by LBC TITAN »

I purchased mine from Ebay, but seperately. I should have purchased the whole kit you're showing there. I would suggest that you get the press in lower ball joints vs. the screw in as shown in your photo. This kit will take care of your whole front end and you will be happier with the improvement. Don't forget about your shocks and springs (if needed) and pitman arm bushing.
Attachments
20170302_184819.jpg
20170302_184838.jpg
20170302_184854.jpg
20170304_084605.jpg
20170304_100016.jpg
Charles
Long Beach, CA
1966 Monza
Turbo 180
Hurst 4spd
Westds

Post by Westds »

I installed the lower ball joint shown in the page with (1 of 1) at the top.
The joint lasted 1000 miles and started making all kinds of noise. I cut it open and found the ball and socket were made of soft metal.
The OEM was hardened and polished were the parts ride on one another.
I would stay away from these parts.

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”