Draining Transaxle on a '64 Spyder Question

All Models and Years
AZScott

Draining Transaxle on a '64 Spyder Question

Post by AZScott »

I have a couple of questions for the experts. I am working on pulling the engine, transaxle and transmission, on my ’64 Spider 4 speed. To start I planned to drain all the fluids.

I have a ’63, 4 speed coupe, so I went to where I thought the drain plug is on the transaxle of the ‘64, and there is a hump but no drain plug. The spider has a trans axle #HJ 0116 (3.55 MT Posi). So, what’s the best way to drain the trans axle ? Crawling around under there on my back, I didn’t see anything obvious. Did they intend to have it sucked out ? I don’t have a good way to do this unless I purchase something.

On draining the Spyder 4 speed transmission; there is a plug on the bottom next to the backup light switch which I normally use on the ’63. When I pulled the plug a spring and ball fell out. I don’t remember the ball and spring on my ’63. Is that the proper drain to use on the transmission? I feel a difference in shift between the ’63 and ’64 4 speed, so I may be missing the ball and spring on the 63?? :dontknow: Any comments?
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Draining Transaxle on a '64 Spyder Question

Post by bbodie52 »

The transmission and differential share fluid to some extent, but have separate oil sumps. There is no drain in the transmission at the lowest point, and usually no drain in the differential either. Usually a suction tool must be used to draw out the old fluid through the fill plugs.

ALEKO BST1017B 12V 8A 100W DC Motor Fuel Oil Diesel Extractor Scavenge Suction Transfer Pump with Hose and Handle and ON/OFF Switch
Price: $23.99
:link: https://www.amazon.com/ALEKO-BST1017B-E ... ction+tool

OTC (2359) Oil Suction Gun
Price: $15.33
:link: https://www.amazon.com/OTC-2359-Oil-Suc ... ction+tool

Other Choices...
:link: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ction+tool
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

If you are pulling the powertrain leave the fluids in the transaxle until it is out of the car. After you have it on the ground you can more easily suck out any fluids or if disassembling the diff and trans from the motor you can simply remove covers and dump out the fluids.

It is possible that you are missing a detent ball and spring from the 63...or perhaps they just didn't fall out when you removed the cap.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

I read through the '64 manual and the servicing is the same as '61-'63. I recently changed out the shift shaft seal and drained the system at the differential. The drain plug #37 in the pic below is towards the front of the car on the differential.

I haven't taken the bolt off of the bottom of the transmission on my '63 Spyder, but I do believe there should be a spring and ball in there. When you are shifting around it should feel a little loose without the spring and ball. With one it should feel like something is catching and holding it just right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
AZScott

Post by AZScott »

Guys thanks for all the comments, I was hoping I would not need an oil extractor, but looks like it may be handy in the future. I will pull it with fluid in for now. CWHunt, yes I have plug #37 on my '63, but on the '64, the casting looks similar from underneath and it has the same hump, but it was not drilled and tapped for a plug. Not sure if that was a Posi difference or something they changed for '64. Perhaps a small price to pay for having a dipstick added in ’64.
As for the ball and spring. I am now fairly certain that it is missing from the ’63 I have.
Again thanks for taking the time to respond and comment.
63 Monza Coupe (164-4 carb)
64 Spyder Convertable
62 MGA Roadster
74 Norton Commando
69 Triumph Bonneville
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Although it is not mentioned in the EM shop manual supplements or the 1965 shop manual, I believe that the differential drain plug was eliminated in the 1964 model year and later. The manual transmission never had a drain plug.

The illustration from the 1961 Corvair Shop Manual shows a drain plug, while the illustration from the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual shows that the drain plug was eliminated...
Differential Drain Plug (1961-63 vs. 1964-69) -1.jpg
This illustration from the 1965 Corvair Chassis Shop Manual does not show a drain plug...
Differential Drain Plug Omission (1964-69).jpg
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

You won't find any statement in the Shop Manual to change the transaxle lube, but it should be changed about every 30K miles depending on use.

Yes you have to pump the lube out - Brad's electric pump looks handy. I've used a wastewater/oil pump that a drill drives sold for restaurants you can find at some hardware stores. A number of cars don't have drains, not just a Corvair thing.

BTW - The number one cause of Corvair transaxle failure is lubricant that is NEVER changed. Even today the local transaxle rebuilder gets units in that have the original factory lubricant (and whatever was used to top them off).

DO NOT USE GL-5 lubricant in a Corvair manual transaxle. The transmission synchros won't like it. Use a GL-4 (no GL-4/5). Some synthetics are rated safe for "yellow metal" transmission parts and have the proper "lubricity" to make the synchros work. Redline makes two, but ONLY one is rated safe for BOTH the transmission AND differential

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”