Replacing broken speedometer cable

Post by TheCommish »

Any details on replacing my Speedometer cable, would be helpful
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Replacing broken speedometer cable

Post by bbodie52 »

You did not state the year or model... looking back at earlier posts you seem to be asking about a 1964 Monza coupe. Is this correct???
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Yes, my 64 EM
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

Are you certain that it is the cable that is broken and not the gear in the differential?

Cable removal is easy enough. It runs along the driver side underneath the car. Disconnect at the differential and the speedometer at the dash by unscrewing the connectors. Then pull cable out of the metal clasps that are on the frame of the car. Mine came out with giving the cable a slight pull. You may have to use a flat head screwdriver and pry the clasps up a little first. Then unroute the cable from the differential to the front of the car. I believe it goes through framing twice and the holes more than accommodates the cable and connector.

I found it easier for me to pull the cable through to the interior as the rubber plug that the cable goes through the floorboard would be easier installed as the cable runs up between the gas tank and car frame.

Install new one in reverse order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Christopher, I'm not sure where its broken, was making noise in cold weather at the odometer side.
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

Could be the cable could be the speedometer itself. (could also be the speedometer drive in the side of the differential as well, but, if you hear noise behind the speedo in the dash it is more likely the cable or the speedo). I would remove the cable from the rear of the speedo and manually turn the nub on the back of the speedo to see if it turns freely and smoothly. If it is not smooth then the problem is likely in the speedo itself (often the grease gets old and crusty causing binding...disassembly cleaning and re-greasing can fix this. The gears in the speedo can also wear...worn gear can cause this issue as well). I would then route the cable out under the dash so I could reach it with my hand. Drive the car and lightly grab the rotating end of the cable while moving. If it is not rotating completely smoothly and evenly then the problem is almost certainly in the cable and the cable should be replaced.(it is also possible to spin the cable with a drill motor from the trans end to see if it is smooth rather than drive and fumbling under the dash to feel it while driving.... don't run the drill full speed....and is a good idea to have a helper to hold and operate the drill while you feel the dash end of the cable.)
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia
cwhunt

Post by cwhunt »

If you disconnect the cable at the speedometer side pull it out under the dash so it is visible while driving. See if the end of the cable spins while in motion *recommend a passenger does this*

If the cable spins it's your speedo that's broken.

Taking out the entire cable took about 10 minutes to do and you can pull the inner cable all the way out too if you prefer to do a full visual inspection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Corvair Forum mobile app
Christopher Hunt
San Diego, CA
'63 Monza Spyder 150HP Turbo
TheCommish

Post by TheCommish »

Getting to the speedo cable in back of the Instrument panel to unscrew it, so hard to see, how does one get back there?
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

With your hand. A flashlight can be usefull for location but it is a by touch operation after that.
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”