Rings/Jugs Installation Question...

All Models and Years
64powerglide

Re: Rings/Jugs Installation Question...

Post by 64powerglide »

What do you mean, you say you adjusted the wires???????? Borrowed a photo from one of Brad's posts, hope he doesn't mind.
The wires should be as in the photo for the best results!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 215 times
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
WinginEngineer

Post by WinginEngineer »

Breath... relax... now exhale...

Going off of terriblet's suggestion that the dragging could be caused by the distributor being 180 degrees out, i pulled the wires off (they WERE exactly like that picture) and repositioned them 180 degrees around. This allowed me to test the theory. When the theory was disproven the wires were returned to their original positions.

I wanted to test the suggestion without pulling the distributor. The timing is set to 6 degrees advance right now which is no easy task without a running engine.

Like the man said, as long as firing order is correct in the clockwise direction it doesn't matter where the wires land on the cap.
Kevin - Phoenix/Mesa, AZ
1962 Corvair 700
terribleted

Post by terribleted »

WinginEngineer wrote:Breath... relax... now exhale...

Like the man said, as long as firing order is correct in the clockwise direction it doesn't matter where the wires land on the cap.

This statement is only true IF #1 sparkplug wire is aligned with the rotor WHEN #1 piston is at Top Dead Center on the compression stroke. It is absolutely essential that #1 TDC be verified and that whatever distributor cap post the rotor is pointing at when the motor is at #1 TDC has the #1 plug wire in it and the rest of the wires are on the correct CW order from that point. What I was saying before is that you could have the distributor say 90 degrees rotated one way or the other and as long as the rotor was pointing at the #1 spark plug wire when the #1 piston was at TDC every thing would be fine (except of course the vacuum advance might be hitting things not allowing proper timing adjustment). If you have not verified proper spark plug wire connection with #1 at TDC (intake and exhaust valves closed and cylinder compressing) then you are wasting your time looking at anything else. You can determine #1 TDC easily. Connect you compression gauge to #1 cylinder (or block the plug hole with your finger to feel for compression). Rotate the engine CCW by hand (wrench) until you see some compression on the gauge (might not be a lot but it should move the gauge). Continue rotation until the timing mark on the pulley is aligned at zero. This is #1 TDC. Now pull off the distributor cap and verify that the rotor is pointing at the cap post containing the #1 spark plug wire...if not fix it.

The only other common reasons for an engine to uneven slow crank are bad electrical connections between battery and starter or bad/weak battery, or some sort of physical binding in the motor itself or starter system. How does it crank with the plugs in and no power to the ignition (coil disconnected and coil wire removed)? If it binds I would say bad starter, or electrical connections/battery issues. If not I would be right back to ignition trouble. Verify the ignition!!!
Corvair guy since 1982. I have personally restored at least 20 Vairs, many of them restored ground up.
Currently working full time repairing Corvairs and restoring old cars.
https://www.facebook.com/tedsautorestoration/

Located in Snellville, Georgia

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”