Those with 140s, let me see your air filter setups!

All Models and Years
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Those with 140s, let me see your air filter setups!

Post by SyntheticBlnkerFluid »

So I really like the performance filters from Clarks that I see on a lot of people's 140s, but I don't have $230 to drop on a set right now.

I know people use other types, I'd like to see what you have. I do not have the factory cleaner assembly, my dad had individual cleaners that disappeared with time, so I need to find something for the interim until I can get what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvair Forum mobile app
1968 Monza 140 4-Speed Posi

Rob
Chebanse, IL
ol toad

Re: Those with 140s, let me see your air filter setups!

Post by ol toad »

I used Clarks individual air cleaners on my rampside. They require modifications for height to close the lid.

xrotaryguy

Post by xrotaryguy »

These are on my Rampside. I don't have the crank case vent worked out yet. The filters are from California Corvairs. The engine cover has 2x4s under it to clear the filters. They were very affordable.

And this is the setup on my 69 Monza.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Corvair Forum mobile app
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

Maybe these air filters would fit your setup and budget.

http://joplin.craigslist.org/pts/5969278095.html
Jeff
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

gnrand wrote:Maybe these air filters would fit your setup and budget.

http://joplin.craigslist.org/pts/5969278095.html
Jeff
Already deleted.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

In reply to xrotaryguy:

I just looked those up and $60 for the set of 4 is not a bad price.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
County98

Post by County98 »

Crappy pic and they've been on my shelf forever. Got these from Marty Katz in Vegas. Weren't too expensive I don't think.
Filters.jpg
Cheers!

-Shayne
Lawton, OK

'66 Corsa work in progress
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=8079
Allan Lacki

Post by Allan Lacki »

Hi SyntheticBlnkerFluid,

The stock 140 air cleaner may not be sexy, but it accommodates the PCV system tube that comes out of the crankcase.

I've seen some aftermarket setups where people simply leave that tube unconnected to anything so that the crankcase blow-by gets sucked into the engine cooling blower and then through the heater/defroster ducts. Putting a little air filter on the end of the tube doesn't does not prevent the crank case blow-by gases from being drawn into the heater/defroster. Of course, you could always disconnect your heater and defroster to avoid the problem but that seems like a big sacrifice for the sake of fancy air cleaners. Other people re-route the tube under the car, turning it into a road draft tube. In my opinion, neither are good solutions.

If you like the idea of having four individual air cleaners, I suggest routing the tube into the bottom of at least one of them.

Alternatively, you can use the base of the stock 140 system and top it off with an fancy aftermarket air cleaner for a 4-barrel carb. That would enable you to replace the usually-rusty twin-snorkel 140 air cleaner body with a shiny chrome one. Most of the aftermarket units come with a knock-out for the PCV tube. You'll need to put a 2-to-4 barrel air cleaner adapter in place to make it fit, but they're cheap.

Al Lacki ::-):
Attachments
4 individual air cleaners with PCV tube routed to right front carb.
4 individual air cleaners with PCV tube routed to right front carb.
Single aftermarket air cleaner adapted to stock 140 air cleaner runners.  Will need two adapters - one to fit the cleaner housing to the runners and another to adapt the PCV tube to the base of the air cleaner.
Single aftermarket air cleaner adapted to stock 140 air cleaner runners. Will need two adapters - one to fit the cleaner housing to the runners and another to adapt the PCV tube to the base of the air cleaner.
SyntheticBlnkerFluid

Allan-

I don't have anything on my car at all right now, so it's a blank slate. My dad had individual air cleaners on it back in the 70's, but sold them off at some point. I don't hate the factory 140 set up, but like I said, I don't have the parts, so I'm seeing what else is available.

I am fully aware of the crankcase ventilation tube and my car does not have a functioning heater right now (no hoses or blower motor and the cables are seized) so the blow by gases won't be a concern for me until I decide to completely rebuild the heater system.

Rob
Chebanse, IL
Mark8166

Post by Mark8166 »

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:So I really like the performance filters from Clarks that I see on a lot of people's 140s, but I don't have $230 to drop on a set right now.

I know people use other types, I'd like to see what you have. I do not have the factory cleaner assembly, my dad had individual cleaners that disappeared with time, so I need to find something for the interim until I can get what I want.

Mark8166

Post by Mark8166 »

SyntheticBlnkerFluid wrote:Allan-

I don't have anything on my car at all right now, so it's a blank slate. My dad had individual air cleaners on it back in the 70's, but sold them off at some point. I don't hate the factory 140 set up, but like I said, I don't have the parts, so I'm seeing what else is available.

I am fully aware of the crankcase ventilation tube and my car does not have a functioning heater right now (no hoses or blower motor and the cables are seized) so the blow by gases won't be a concern for me until I decide to completely rebuild the heater system.

Mark8166

Post by Mark8166 »

Painted the x tube bought a 2 barrel adapter plate that fit exactly the size if the x tube then chrome air cleaner. Maybe $30 dollars for the job.

toytron

Post by toytron »

Nice look Mark

Ed Stevenson

Edwin Stevenson
Industrial Electrician
Electronics Technician
65 corvair corsa convertible turbo
65 corvair monza

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”