Leaking from fuel pump

All Models and Years
bubba931

Leaking from fuel pump

Post by bubba931 »

Good morning all,

I just got back from a car show in Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin and noticed my gas mileage really was terrible. I checked under the hood when I got home and discovered a leak at the parting line on the middle section of the pump where the casting notch is. I snugged up the bolts and it seems to have stopped, I didn't want to go nuts with too much torque. See picture.

Is there any thing else I should do at this point or just keep an eye on it?
fuel pump.JPG
I'll appreciate your comments, thanks

Rick T
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Rick Tylla
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
65 Monza Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Re: Leaking from fuel pump

Post by bbodie52 »

Hopefully re-tightening the pump assembly components will provide a permanent fix. Since the pump design is unique to the Corvair, and few auto parts stores will maintain Corvair pumps in their in-store inventory (special order), it is usually wise to keep a new spare pump in the trunk. Along with a few tools, a failed pump — should it occur on the road — does not have to be a "show stopper" that would force a need for a tow truck and possibly several days of down time waiting for a new part.

:link: http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/catalog ... IN&page=65
Brad Bodie
Lake Chatuge, North Carolina
Image 1966 Corvair Corsa Convertible
bubba931

Post by bubba931 »

Tightening the pump body seems to have solved the problem. A secondary benefit was it runs much better and doesn't seem starved for fuel, it seemed to be running pretty lean.

I do carry a spare pump and spare belts in my tool kit. Life is good and its time for an adult beverage.
Rick Tylla
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
65 Monza Convertible
bubba931

Post by bubba931 »

Yesterday I had to change the pump as it started leaking again. The new pump I put on is not leaking but there is vapor being emitted right at the notch in the pump. Is that a concern?
Last edited by bubba931 on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Tylla
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
65 Monza Convertible
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

I have to watch mine too, next time is loosens up i'm going to try some star washers. No you shouldn't get vapors from the gasket but I don't see anwhere to get new gaskets.
Attachments
Stainless%20Internal%20Lock%20Washers-500x500.jpg
Stainless%20Internal%20Lock%20Washers-500x500.jpg (27.88 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
64Powerglide, Jeff Phillips

Kalamazoo, Mi..
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

Many Corvair owners eliminate the mechanical pump and install an electric pump near the tank. Clarks does have a device that fits inside the mechanical pump that allows the electric pump to push fuel right thru the mechanical unit, using stock metal fuel lines, and still look original.

As many owners do not drive their cars every day, the electric pump will overcome the common crank and crank and crank until fuel is finally at the
carburetors.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
66vairguy

Post by 66vairguy »

Keep in mind that sometimes fuel pumps leak into the engine so gasoline contaminates the oil. If a fuel pump is suspect keep an eye (and nose) on the engine oil. If the level oil level goes up, or the oil smells like gasoline, then replace the pump.
bubba931

Post by bubba931 »

As of now installing an electric pump is not feasible, cost wise. In the future it will be possible but I'm not comfortable installing one myself. My main concern is the vapor I see while it is running. I'll probably get it warm again and see about re-tightening the 6 screws holding the pump together. I have noticed no gasoline in the oil so I think I'm alright there.
Rick Tylla
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
65 Monza Convertible
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

Between the cost of getting poor gas mileage and the possibility of having an engine compartment fire, I would suggest buying a new or used mechanical fuel pump ASAP. It is a bad idea to wait until you can cover a conversion to an electric pump.

Even if you decide to switch to an electric pump later, the mechanical pump could then be stored in the trunk as a pretested emergency spare.

Perhaps someone in the CORSA club below could loan you a spare pump to replace your leaking pump? Someone in the club might also help with assistance in replacing your mechanical pump or with installing an electric pump.

North East Wisconsin Corvair Club
2251 Vinland Road
Oshkosh, WI 54901-1853
About 65 miles
:link: http://newcc.weebly.com/
:link: http://www.facebook.com/pages/North-Eas ... 2029524903
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

He has 2 pumps & they both leak, one vapor & the other fuel. Just turn the screws down tighter & see if you can get it to stop.

Kalamazoo, Mi..
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:idea: If tightening the screws to it fails to make things better, can the apparent faulty new pump be returned/exchanged? If not, perhaps you can marry the two pumps and use parts from both to create one serviceable pump.
:beavisbutthead: > :drinkinbuddy: >> :heartbeat:
Brad Bodie
Jerry Whitt

Post by Jerry Whitt »

A basic electric fuel pump can be purchased for less than $30.00 at Autozone. Installation takes an hour or so. Seems like you are trying to make an easy improvement way more difficult than it really is.
Jerry Whitt
ASE CERTIFIED MASTER TECHNICIAN
Retired
Hemet, Callifornia
65 Monza, purchased new
65 Corsa convertible
gnrand

Post by gnrand »

I just did my second electric fuel pump installation. I got this new pump off EBay for less then $20 (Isumo), Clarks supplied the mechanical fuel pump block off plug. Modifying the fuel lines in the engine compartment is a little tricky especially the main feed line. Another nice feature of an electric pump is adding a switch to the ground wire for a little security.
Jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Unive ... ~N&vxp=mtr
1965 140 Corsa
1968 140 Monza convertible 4 speed
1965 Corsa Convertible
1966 Crown V8 383 435hp
1986 Buick GN V6 600hp
notched

Post by notched »

Do you have any old AC pumps? I have been repairing the newer Airtex/Spectra/AC Delco boxed pumps. The lower gasket has been the culprit. Compared to the originals I found the gasket is way too thin. Even tightening the screws would not stop the leak. I will rob the the thicker reinforced gasket from an original pump (along with the spring) and run some longer screws with locking nuts on the bottom. The one on my turbo has been leak free for 8 years now. I just did my convertible last summer. I also did a few spares. If you don't have an original then ask around and see if someone will donate one.
1966 Corsa turbo
1969 Monza convertible
1987 Buick Grand National
bbodie52
Corvair of the Month
Corvair of the Month

Post by bbodie52 »

:goodpost: I wonder if a used parts source like the Corvair Ranch in Gettysburg, PA might have a supply of old pumps that could be a source for cannibalization from which reborn pumps could be grown. Have you ever found a source of bulk thick gasket material from which new gaskets could be cut?

Here is a listing of various forms of bulk gasket material. Could a template be made that would allow you to cut your own???
:link: http://www.jegs.com/c/Gaskets_Bulk-Gask ... oC7_Tw_wcB
Brad Bodie
64powerglide

Post by 64powerglide »

My thought's too, get some Fel-Pro gasket material from NAPA and use the old one to trace it & cut out a new gasket. I think my old one has a thinner gasket on the bottom & the one in the first photo you posted looks like a thicker neoprene one that is all squished out. Then again it might be my old eyes. :dontknow:
Attachments
Your's
Your's
Untitled.jpg (34.99 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Mine
Mine

Kalamazoo, Mi..

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”