A few questions....mechanic has gone AWOL

All Models and Years
Conspiracy

A few questions....mechanic has gone AWOL

Post by Conspiracy »

Hi all,

Still trying to get this '62 Greenbrier moving under it's own steam but been left to my own devices for a bit as my mechanic friend has been busy.

The weather is in sunny Cornwall has left a lot to be desired so a month after receiving the new clutch, pressure plate, input shaft seals, throw out bearing & pilot bushing, all I've managed to do is put the busing in along with the clutch & pressure plate. This weekend looks like good weather so I'd like to get the input shaft seals in & get the engine & trans back together ready for the big reunite!

A couple of thing playing on my mind and being a total novice, could do with some guidance! I have a bolted flywheel but I noticed two of the bolts were not loose, but not as tight as the others.....is this a problem? Should I take the flywheel off and tighten these two? Are they a simple nut & bolt affair? I went to do it but with a socket set, all I was achieving was to undo the crank pulley bolt!

I also need to adjust the rockers as they are very loose. I ordered the 4 hole silicone valve cover gaskets as I knew it wasn't a 6 hole cover.....would you believe, both valve covers are 5 hole and I can't find any info about them!! I presume it's OK just to make a 5th hole in the gasket?

Apart from the uncertainty above, her underside has been protected, new upper ball joints, new shocks, cut coils, new brake shoes/cylinders/hoses, engine to body seals & thoroughly enjoying working on her!

Any tips/advice always appreciated :tu:

A few pics

flat6_musik

Re: A few questions....mechanic has gone AWOL

Post by flat6_musik »

I believe there should be a metal flatwasher type of support deal next to the input shafts seal, if I remember correctly.......keeps the input shaft supported as not to smash the seal. At least my 65 corsa had one. Seems like something you'd not want to forget.
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Thanks for the reply flat6....I do have a new retaining clip to go in as well as the old one just fell out!!

Chris
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

5-hole covers? Someone got creative. You should be fine with just four bolts; providing they have the long flat spring-bar spreaders under them. Silicone? I haven't tried those. My process for valve covers includes gluing them to the valve covers in advance. Two covers bolted together with an extra gasket for a spacer. I'm not sure how that would work with silicone. Once the gaskets are well glued (overnight), I install to engine without any gasket adhesive. I prefer the cork-nitrile gaskets but others have good results with other materials.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
'60 Monza PG coupe (sold, sniff, sniff)
'66 Corsa Fitch Sprint Conv. (First car 1971, recently repurchased)
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

Re bolted flywheel. Yes, simple nut and bolt affairs on later style clutches. When I bolt early clutches (flat face flywheel, not stepped), I drill and tap the flywheel. Since you are able to see bolt-heads, I'm going to say your's is nut and bolted.

If you take the flywheel off to check the bolts, I recommend making a simple strap (z-shape) to hold the flywheel for torquing. The strap will be about 5" long and will bridge the gap between a starter bolt and a flywheel bolt. The strap holds the flywheel. (reverse for tightening). Use a 6-point socket on the flywheel bolts, apply sealant on bolt threads, don't forget the large 6-hole spacer washer.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Thanks cnicol, I have small spreaders but may see if I can get the longer ones although there didn't appear to be any leaking. Blue silicon gaskets were from Clarks, will give them a go and see how they perform!!!

Appreciate the flywheel info, going to take it off to tighten those two to be safe rather than sorry! I WILL NOT forget the spacer, seen so many posts about THE SPACER!!!

My mechanic friend is coming round next Friday so we'll crack on and hopefully get everything done.

Have a nice weekend and thanks again.

Chris
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Sorry to be a pain, can anybody let me know what torque the bolts for the flywheel should be. I have pressure plate at 20, flywheel to crank at 40-50 but can't find the figure for the bolted flywheel bolts as two of mine are not tight.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

The bolts I have on hand for flywheel bolting are 1/4-28, Grade 8. If that's what's in your flywheel, the correct torque is 10 ft-lb lubricated and 14 ft-lb dry.
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
cnicol

Post by cnicol »

The bolts I have on hand for flywheel bolting are 1/4-28, Grade 8. If that's what's in your flywheel, the correct torque is 10 ft-lb lubricated and 14 ft-lb dry. http://www.americanboltcorp.com/tech/techtorque.pdf
'61 140 PG Rampside
'66 Rear Alum V8 4-dr
Conspiracy

Post by Conspiracy »

Cnicol.....that's a a great document and will be a massive help, thanks very much yet again :tu:

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”