Fuel Tank & Pump(s)

All Models and Years
cvair4life

Fuel Tank & Pump(s)

Post by cvair4life »

Ok so here's my next question on my quest for Corvair Knowledge before I start buying parts and breaking knuckles :tongue:

1) Replace my tank or seal it? - It seems to be clogging any size of inline filter in about 30 seconds... just kidding but I carry spare filters just in case.

2) Mechanical Fuel Pump or Electric? The mechanical one in the car seems fine.
:ty:
1966 Corsa Coupe
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: Fuel Tank & Pump(s)

Post by UNSAFE »

Is it rust that's clogging the filters or just crud ?

If it's really rust I'd probably replace the tank. I've never tried sealers myself.

If it mostly crud in the tank you might be able to remove the sending unit and flush the tank out without removing it.

Using a larger filter like a canister type might help.

You may have to clean out the carbs also .

I'd stick with the mechanical pump as long as it's working.
Attachments
g6854.jpg
g6854.jpg (52.97 KiB) Viewed 299 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska
cvair4life

Re: Fuel Tank & Pump(s)

Post by cvair4life »

Thanks Kevin. I'd guess that it's rust. The first time I built the car I didn't filter the line and would fish the occasional chuck of rust off of the carb jet every so often. The car sat empty (no fuel) for years before I got it and a few years after I got it so I'm guessing that the condensation has been enough to start surface rust in the tank. I'd flushed it a few times when I first got it. I even used a huge Dodge Filter on the line when I used to drive it and had to replace it in about 4 months.

Yup the mechanical is still running but needs some TLC so I'll stick with it for now. :)
1966 Corsa Coupe

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”