noob needs assistance

All Models and Years
laotsu42

noob needs assistance

Post by laotsu42 »

i just purchased a 63 two door coupe and it has run great for a month and a half just yesterday the temp pres light went on and will not go off the oil is full and it starts when i push the gas the light dims and some times goes off for a second I am not good at trouble shooting as it has been years since i own or worked on a car mostly just been riding and fixing bicycles ... but i cannot ride at the moment as i am recovering from a knee surgery ...any help would be greatly appreciated ...
UNSAFE
Corvair of the Year
Corvair of the Year

Re: noob needs assistance

Post by UNSAFE »

It's most likely one of two things --

Either you have low oil pressure caused by an internal problem (not good) or --

The oil pressure sending unit is going bad. It sits at the rear of the motor kinda under the generater fan. (An easy inexpensive fix)

The "best" thing to do would have someone use a mechanical pressure gauge to confirm that you have enough pressure and then merely replace the sending unit. Just remove sender and screw in mechanical gauge to test. Threads should be the same. The OP sender dous not come on until the pressure is really low , like maybe 5psi. If you have at least 20 it's most likely the sender. You could just get a sender and try it if no one is around to check the pressure. You can likely get one that will work at most any parts store.

If you don't have enough pressure you either need to have it repaired or - you might just try thicker oil if your budget is really tight but it could be risky.

the temp sender is also tied into the circuit but it sounds like OP to me.

Here's a pic of where the sending unit should be.
Attachments
opsender.jpg
opsender.jpg (97.09 KiB) Viewed 326 times
Kevin Willson
1965 Monza 3.1
Juneau Alaska

Return to “Ask your Mechanical Questions here”